Cupcakes. Who doesn’t love a good cupcake?
We’ve been playing around with frosting and meringue lately, so I decided that I needed to make some cupcakes for us to practice with. What better way to practice icing a cupcake than by experimenting with cupcake flavor as well?
I’ve been wanting to make lemonade cupcakes forever! Don’t ask my why… maybe it’s because I’m craving spring weather and its spring still hasn’t quite made its way to the Midwest. Our temps are hovering in the 30s… every once in a while sneaking up into the 40s. But me, I want summer days and a tall glass of lemonade.
Instead, I’ll settle for a cupcake. Okay… it’s not really settling since it is so divine.
We paired these easy to whip up lemonade cupcakes with a cream cheese frosting. The only difference in the frosting I made for these cupcakes and the cream cheese frosting I made for my daughter’s tenth birthday was the addition of confetti sprinkles. Add as many as you’d like, but about 1/4 cup should be good.
To decorate the cupcakes I used an extra large star tip. Starting at the outside and holding the icing bag at a 45 degree angle, squeeze the icing out as you work your way around the cupcake to the middle. Using an extra large tip made decorating the cupcakes pretty easy and something that I no longer find intimidating.
Now… I might not feel the same way about more difficult cupcake decorating techniques. Maybe a cake decorating class is in my future! We all have to learn somewhere.
- ½ cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Crystal Light drink mix packet (not single serve… says it makes 2 quarts)
- With mixer on medium speed, combine melted butter and sugar. Add in eggs and mix until smooth. Add milk and vanilla and mix.
- In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients including the Crystal Light lemonade mix (do not add water to the mix). Slowly add to wet ingredients with mixer at low speed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place cupcake liners in cupcake pan. Fill to ?rds full.
- Bake cupcakes for 18 minutes. Makes about 24 cupcakes.
- Cool completely and top with cream cheese or butter cream frosting.