I’ve become a bit smitten with farro. Are you familiar with it and what makes it a healthy grain? Here are a few farro ‘features’ if you will:
- Farro is one of the oldest cultivated grains and has been consumed for over 5000 years.
- With 8 grams of protein and 7 grams of fiber per cooked cup, Farro is an energy power house.
- Because it’s a complex carb, Farro breaks down slowly, helping to stabilize your energy over longer periods of time.
- Farro is high in B vitamins and minerals, especially Magnesium which has been said to ease tension and menstrual cramps.
- And the best part, Farro tastes great and is super versatile to use. I think you’ll love it’s slightly chewy nutty flavor.
This Avocado, Cilantro & Lime Farro Salad with Fresh Veggies made a wonderful lunch for a couple of my ‘healthy choices’ workmates and myself. I chose a variety of fresh veggies that I had on hand, the idea is to use a nice mix of colors and crunch. Then to bring it all together I made a dressing with avocado, cilantro & lime which added a nice flavor punch. Simply seasoned with salt & pepper and lunch was ready to be served. Enjoy!
All my best,
- 1 cup Farro, cooked according to package instructions (yield = 2 cups cooked)
- 2 cups diced fresh veggies (such as zucchini, summer squash, scallion, tomato, radish)
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juice & zest
- 1/2 fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Prepare Farro according to package instructions; drain and cool to room temperature.
- Dice fresh veggies and reserve.
- Mash avocado with lime juice and zest, stir in fresh cilantro.
- Combine farro, diced veggies, avocado mixture. Season with salt and pepper to taste.