Dinner shouldn’t be hard to make. And sometimes, well… sometimes it should be downright easy. But, it should always be good.
Pork and Cabbage Soup
If you like a little (or a lot) of spice with your dinner, this is one soupy meal to add to your list of go-to recipes. Not only will it clear your sinuses, but it will have you ladling up heaps of good for you veggies: cabbage and tomatoes, and meaty goodness. Flavorful and delicious, there’s not much need to reach into your spice cabinet. Besides adding a touch of salt or pepper, there really is no need.
Like leftovers? Spicy Crockpot Pork and Cabbage Soup is just as good the next day! I’ll take 2 bowl fulls please. There’s nothing like a bowl of soup to add comfort to your day, and to help warm you up on a cool or damp day.
Enjoy this soup as a main dish or an appetizer. Either way, it’ll help you stretch your grocery dollar.
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 1/2 pound bacon, cut up before browning
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 quart canned tomatoes with juice
- 1 small head of cabbage, cut in bite-size chunks (about 8 cups)
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- Brown sausage and bacon over medium high heat until fully cooked (about 7-9 minutes). Remove meat and place in crockpot, while reserving pork grease and frying pan to cook cabbage.
- Chop small head of cabbage into large bite-size pieces. Fry in reserved pork grease over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Add in chopped jalapeno and cook for an additional minute.
- Combine all ingredients in crock pot. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
You might also like these easy, inexpensive meal ideas: