I love it when leftovers can be reinvented to create an entirely new meal,and this Mexican Rice recipe does exactly that. A couple weeks ago I was working through Week #2 of 52 Weeks of No-Repeat Meals and enjoying Crockpot White Beans and Ham one night and Pork Carnitas the next night. I started with a really big pork roast, which I probably should have cut in half and thrown one half in the freezer for another time, but alas… I didn’t. I ended up with three superb meals and made it work.
This Mexican Rice recipe is super easy to throw together, and similar to Spanish Rice, but meaty. While filling enough to make a meal, I would recommend serving this as a side dish for tacos or burritos. Yum!
Start with 3 cups of chopped up pork, onion, and uncooked rice and cook in olive oil over medium-high heat while stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes. Then add in chicken stock and crushed tomatoes in puree:
Add in seasonings, cover and continue cooking over low heat and cook for about 25-30 minutes or until rice has cooked. Taste to make sure spices are perfect for your liking, and add in addition salt or pepper if needed.
Serve with tacos or burritos and garnish with sour cream, which offers the perfect compliment to this Mexican rice recipe. You know what else I like about this? We had enough left over so I had a super yummy lunch. Boy, do I love being able to stretch a meal out. Especially a good one.
Not only did I get 3 dinners out of a pork roast (3 unique dinners with different flavors, mind you), but I also had enough leftovers of two of the meals that I was able to have two super good and nutritious lunches that only had to be warmed up. Now, that’s a win in my book.
Mexican Rice is a perfect way to use up pork roast leftovers.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups pork roast, (precooked and chopped- I used leftover pork roast)
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed
- 1/4 cup red onion
- 3 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes in puree
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, add oil and combine meat, onion, jalapeno, and rice. Cook over medium-high heat while stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes. Add in chicken stock and crushed tomatoes.
- Add in seasonings, cover and continue cooking over low heat and cook for about 25-30 minutes or until rice has cooked. Taste to make sure spices are perfect for your liking, and add in addition salt or pepper if needed.
You May Also Like:
And don’t forget dessert:
More from All She Cooks
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Cool Strawberry Soup - 2017/01/19
- Make Egg Rolls with Mushroom Chicken Egg Rolls Recipe - 2017/01/19
- Spicy Tuna Cucumber Cup Appetizers - 2017/01/19