Best Apple Rhubarb Cake
My freezer is stocked full of rhubarb, so I decided to experiment a bit and came up with this cake. It would be perfect served warm with a little vanilla ice cream.
Rhubarb grows really well in the north, so a few years ago we decided to plant a couple rhubarb plants. If you’re unfamiliar with rhubarb, it is the plant that keeps on giving. And giving, and giving and giving.
The only thing I don’t like about it is the fact that it attracts Japanese beetles in droves for about a month during the summer. In fact, the abundance of beetles led me to pull up the majority of rhubarb not once, but twice this summer just trying to get rid of them. The only thing that resulted in was more rhubarb! It grows back faster than I can give it away.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten lightly
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup oatmeal, ground in a food processor or blender
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 cup chopped rhubarb
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter and then mix in applesauce, egg, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients and stir together until well blended.
- Add rhubarb and mix until evenly dispersed.
- Spray a loaf pan and pour cake batter into the pan, spreading evenly.
- Mix together streusel ingredients and spread over the top of the cake.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421 Total Fat: 19g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 69mg Sodium: 532mg Carbohydrates: 60g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 37g Protein: 4g