Shortbread thumbprint cookies with cherry filling
One of my absolute favorite memories of baking cookies with my mom and sister were the times we would make Golden Thumbprints for Christmas.
We would make a zillion varieties of Christmas cookies, but for some reason that jam-filled goodie was my favorite.
I’ve always loved that cookie. It’s not a Snickerdoodle, but it’s still in my top five.
There’s been a jar of cherry pie filling in my pantry forever. For.Ever.
The reason? I love coupon shopping, and I think about a year ago I had a coupon and good intentions. Actually, I must have had two coupons, because I remember using a can at some point.
But… I digress! These lovely buttery almond cherry thumbprints (soft butter shortbread cookies) are the result of me wanting to use up that can of cherry pie filling, while making something beautifully delicious.
I actually like the imperfect way the cherry filling stains the cookie. Kinda spunks it up. And did I mention how good these yummy cookies taste? I downed two in about as many minutes. Okay… seconds. But hey- they were that good!
Buttery almond cherry thumbprints are light, airy and delicious.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes
- Total Time: 27 minutes
- Yield: 24
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Cream together butter and sugar. Add in eggs one at a time while mixing. Add almond extract and beat until smooth.
- In separate bowl, combine dry ingredients. Mix together and then add slowly to the wet ingredients until well mixed.
- Using a 1 inch cookie dough scoop, make 24 (1-inch) cookie balls. Using a thumb or spoon, make a deep impression in each cookie, being careful not to press through the cookie.
- Fill each cookie with a small spoonful of cherry pie filling.
- Bake on 375 for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Makes 24 cookies, or 12 servings.
- Serving Size: 12
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Confetti Cupcakes with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting - 2017/05/26
- Lemon Poppy Seed Pudding Cake with Strawberry Topping - 2017/05/25
- TWIX® Brownie Trifle- A Decadent Chocolate Dessert - 2017/05/24