- Recipe is per quart jar:
- 2 and 3/4 lbs tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp bottled lemon juice for each quart jar
- 1 tsp salt
- Wash the tomatoes then dip in boiling water 30 to 60 seconds. Immediately dip in cold water. Slip off skins. Trim away any green areas and cut out core.
- Cut the tomatoes until they measure about 2 cups. Transfer to a large stainless steel saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Use a potato masher to help crush tomatoes and release the juices. Stir often and add more tomatoes being careful to avoid scorching. The remaining tomatoes do not need to be crushed, as they will soften with heating and stirring. Continue until all tomatoes are added, then boil gently for 5 minutes.
- Add 2 Tbsp of lemon juice to each quart jar and then add the hot tomatoes into jars leaving a 1/2 inch to the top of the jar. Compress the tomatoes into the jar until the spaces between them fill with juice, leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Wipe rim and add the lid adjusting the band until finger tight. Don’t overtighten.
- Process filled jars in a boiling water canner for 45 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed. Makes about 1 quart.