Nothing is quite as pleasing as a lite soup to warm the soul or get the chill or damp out of the air. This leek soup is perfect for a cool spring day. Part of the onion family, leeks are high in both antioxidants and fiber and low in calories.
Offering a mild onion flavor, with much less zing than its onion or garlic counterparts, foods prepared with leek are less likely to offend those opposed to strong onion flavors. As for myself, I’ll take them all. Onion, garlic, leek… I’m that kind of gal. You won’t often find me cooking a main course or soup without one or the other.
I love mixing up new flavors, and with this soup I did just that. I had a bottle of clam juice that had been sitting in my pantry for quite some time, leftover from a pasta dish I made before I started documenting my cooking adventures. So… I added a bit of clam juice to this leek soup, adding a slightly salty seafood flavor.
You know what? Next time I make this… I’m going to add some clams. I think that would be the kicker. It would be a little twist on clam chowder… with some veggie goodness thrown in. A win-win in my book.
Start by melting butter in a stockpot, and then adding chopped leek and diced red potato. Let that saute for about 10 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Add flour, stirring into a roux. Add liquids, followed by seasonings. Reduce to low and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Add additional salt and pepper to taste.Print
Leek Soup Recipe
- Category: Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 cups chopped leek
- 1 large red potato, diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 8 fl. ounces clam juice (bottle sold near canned fish/meat)
- 4 cups chicken broth (or stock)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Melt butter in a stockpot. Add leek and red potato. Saute for about 10 minutes over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add flour, stirring into a roux. Then add liquids, followed by seasonings. Reduce to low and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- Add additional salt and pepper to taste.
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Bedroom Decor for Fall and Winter at Shopko - 2017/10/05
- A Gentleman’s Guide to Love & Murder in Madison, WI - 2017/10/03
- How to Make a Latte and No Bake Caramel Latte Frozen Icebox Cake - 2017/09/21