This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #ToPetsWithLove #CollectiveBias
How to Make a Removable Dog-Bed Cover
If you’ve ever made a fleece tie-blanket before, you’re well on your way to making a dog bed cover that is removable and washable. It’s also guaranteed to be a comfortable place for your favorite furry friend to take a nap.
Fleece is the perfect material for a dog bed. It’s soft and warm, cozy and perfect cushioned for your pet to sink into and sleep the day away.
Case in point: my daughter and I decided to work together to make our dog, Marley, a new dog bed cover. We bought two types of fleece: a vibrant red perfect for the holiday season, and a fun black paw-print fabric that is all about dogs.
After laying the fabric out on the floor to cut down to the correct size, Marley decided to plop down in the middle of it. She laid there the entire time we worked on cutting and tying the blanket, and we had to make her move so we could put her dog bed inside of it.
Once we got the dog bed covered and her refinished bed was ready to go, Marley laid right back down on it and stayed there for the entire time we watched a movie.
Now…let me just preface that by saying that she rarely has used her dog bed for a big length of time. Sure, she’ll lay down on it, but until today she has never fully embraced the comfort of her dog bed. The fleece cover has truly made it an exceptionally comfortable dog bed.
Steps to Make a Washable Dog Bed Cover
- Measure your dog’s bed. Take the length and width measurement and add 1 foot to both of the measurements. This is because you will be cutting 6-inch strips on three sides and tying the strips together.
- Buy 2 different types of fleece–we purchased a solid red color and then a black and white pattern material. Because of the size of our dog bed, we had the fleece cut in 2 yard pieces.
- Purchase velcro. We bought a pack that had 3 large strips of velcro.
- Lay both pieces of fleece down on the floor or table (one on top of the other), and then lay the dog bed down in the middle of it. This is simply to double-check the size of the fleece. We ended up cutting about 6-inches in length off of the fleece, which we will use to make a scarf.
- Once you’ve confirmed that you have the right size, you are ready to start cutting strips. To start this, you need to cut a square out of each corner–6 inches x 6 inches.
- After you have the corners cut out, proceed to cut 1-inch wide strips along 3 sides of the fleece.
- Tie the two pieces of fleece together. In our case, we tied a strip of red to a strip of the patterned fleece. Repeat around 3 sides of the dog bed cover.
- When the tying is finished, you are left with one open side of a tie-blanket. Put the dog bed inside of the two layers and fold the open end in. Attach 3 pieces of velcro (one on each end and one in the midde) to the top and bottom of the dog bed cover and seal the velcro to close the cover. And then, you’re done!
For more inspiration, visit The Social Hub.
Make Your Pet Feel Special
The holidays are the perfect time to show your pet that you care.
We know…the daily grind is so busy, and sometimes it can be difficult to find time to stop at the pet store to find your pet’s favorite treats. Luckily, you really don’t have to make a special trip to get treats for your dog (or cat) that they will absolutely love.
Truth be told, we love the convenience of shopping at our local Kroger banner store because we can stock up on everything we need (hello, Friendsgiving!) AND take care of our pet at the same time.
We’re getting ready for the holiday season early this year, and spoiling Marley is a fun part of the holiday. From our creative homemade dog bed cover, to a gift basket filled with delicious dog treats, Marley is going to be in heaven!
Our gift basket is stocked with Purina products, which we love to use because she typically eats Purina products. Purina Beneful dry dog food is her normal food, and the treats we’ve selected compliment that well.
And you know Marley is going to adore her Beggin’ Strips! They smell like bacon and taste like bacon because they are actually made with real bacon. Yum!
Spread holiday love to your furry friends with the help of Purina! Now through the end of November, take advantage of great savings on your favorite Purina pet products available at Kroger with this Coupons.com link, while supplies last.