Hi, I’m Deb from Cooking on the Front Burner and starting today I will be dropping by once a month with a new recipe for you with first up this Southwest Chicken Barley. This time of year I am so in a soup mood. Our temps in the midwest have been frigid and it seems like it snows at least once or twice a week. So when I come home from work, I really want something that comes together quite quickly and can warm up these old bones! Now you are probably thinking, this doesn’t look much like soup – well, I am more about adding extra ingredients to give it a chunky texture but this soup is still on the lighter side because there is no cream. The recipe I’m sharing is exactly how I prepared it but if you prefer yours to be more liquidey, feel free to add additional chicken broth.
An easy soup that comes together quick
- Preheat oven to 350. Place boneless chicken on a baking sheet and drizzle with a bit of olive oil and bake for about 20 minutes until done. Let cool a but then shred with either your mixer or 2 forks
- Meanwhile, in dutch oven or large soup pot, sauté onion and garlic in oil until tender. Add next 9 ingredients (unless you are using quick barley-if so, add at appropriate cooking time). Bring to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and simmer 10 additional minutes
I’ve made this Southwest Chicken Barley soup a few times over the last couple of years. Most of the ingredients are staples I have in the house – I like to keep my pantry stocked with soup fixings! I do have one trick up my sleeve to share with you on how to shred chicken super fast…. I use my Kitchen Aid mixer with the paddle attachment. After the chicken is baked (as you will see in the recipe), place the chicken in the mixer bowl and turn it on number 2 or 4 and let it run until the chicken is shredded…. It really works! I haven’t tried using a regular mixer but that might work too. Well, I hope you enjoy this comforting bowl of soup and see you again soon!
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Ginger Peach Smoothie Recipe – Perfect for Breakfast - 2017/02/23
- Easy Pork Chops Recipe - 2017/02/23
- Pomegranate Punch - 2017/02/22