Well, the holidays are upon us, and I am feeling very festive this year. I love making homemade things for the holidays and since my kids love to make their very own cakes and cookies for themselves and Santa, I decided that homemade sugar sprinkles would be a great choice this year. They cost a lot less than store bought sprinkles, and they only take a few minutes to make.
Homemade Colored Sugar
You will need:
2 Cups of Sugar
Red and Green Gel or Liquid Food Coloring
Stand Mixer or Ziploc Bags
1. Pour one cup of sugar into your mixer bowl or your plastic zip bag.
2. Add 1/4-1/2 tsp of food coloring.
3. Let your mixer run until all the color is incorporated, or knead the plastic bag until all the color is incorporated.
4. If your sugar is too wet, add about 1/2-1 tsp of corn starch to the sugar and continue to mix or knead your bag.
5. Check to make sure there are no really dark spots or lumps in your sugar, and you’re done.
You can add as much color as you need to get the desired color, but I found that the measurements above gave me the perfect red and green. This is sugar, so you can use it to sprinkle on cupcakes, cookies and cakes this year. This would also make a cute gift for a family member or friend that likes to bake and decorate. Have fun and try some different color combinations for your desserts that holiday season.
Ashley @Supremely Divine Life
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Best Coleslaw Recipe for Good Summer Meals - 2017/07/25
- Parmesan Green Beans Recipe – Thanksgiving Side Dishes - 2017/07/21
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad Recipe – With Several Pasta Types - 2017/07/20