Cook Corn on the Cob in the Cooler

Cook Corn on the Cob in the Cooler

Cook Corn on the Cob in the Cooler

Now, corn on the cob and summer is right up there with Fruit Pudding and Banana Split Kabobs in my family.  It’s just one of those summertime foods that has be to made a time or two… or twenty.

How to cook corn on the cob in the cooler has got to be one of those ‘who’d of thunk’ sort of creations.  I mean, whoever first came up with cooking corn on the cob in a cooler is a genius.  GENIUS.  Seriously.  Because, have you ever had a big cookout and spent way too much time standing over a hot stove with multiple pans boiling with corn and water?  It’s really not a lot of fun.

And then there is the cook time for boiling ears of corn.  That has always tricked me.  I normally end up with slightly over-done corn on the cob… which is still good because hey, it’s corn on the cob!

However, my method of cooking corn on the cob as beautiful as this has now been transformed.

Cook Corn on the Cob in the Cooler

I mean, wow- right?  It’s just plain gorgeous.  Not only that, but it tastes even better than it looks.  If that’s even possible.

You can make corn on the cob like this too, in just a few simple steps:

1. Remove husks and silk from corn.
  2. Boil a couple kettles of water.  I did this one kettle at a time and it worked perfectly.
  3. Wash out an ice chest.
  4. Spread out corn on the cob on the bottom of ice chest.
  5. Cover corn with boiling water and close ice chest.  Set timer for 30 minutes and you’re good to go.  Corn comes out perfectly cooked!
  6. Serve with butter and try to stop at just one ear of corn.  I know I couldn’t!

Cook Corn on the Cob in the Cooler

Sometimes it amazes me how people come up with such creative ways too cook things.  It’s a good thing they do though!  And I’m so thankful for Pinterest because it is a bevy of fabulous inspiration.

What is your favorite cooking shortcut?  Share it with us in the comments, on Twitter or Facebook.

Cook Corn on the Cob in the Cooler

Jessica McCoy

Owner, Writer, Editor at All She Cooks
Jessica McCoy is the publisher and primary editor behind All She Cooks. She enjoys recipe development, food photography, as well as food and travel writing. You can find Jessica on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Google +.

Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)

Comments

1. says

easy way to shuck corn – cut the bottom one to two inches off of each ear, place two ears on a plate put in microwave, cook for 1 minute, twist the tops and pull the silk and leaves right off the cob (a little hot for my hands I fold a paper towel and pull). Corn is part way cooked so might cook even faster in the cooler for your method.

2. says

I now know what I will be taking to our yearly sailboat camp out!! I am imagining a Corn Bar with butter, queso fresco, chili powder…the toppings are endless.

3. says

I should have thought of this. I remember waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day we had a sick horse and we didn’t have a barn only a pasture and shelter. No elec. we took boiled water and put it in an ice chest and it didn’t freeze that way they had water all night.
    This is a great idea! I’ll have to try!
    Thanks for sharing.

4. says

I will definitely be trying this method!

Thank you for stopping by the Thoughtful Spot Weekly Blog Hop this week. We hope to see you drop by our neck of the woods next week!

5. says

I love corn on the cob and would have never thought to of prepare it this way. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!! Laura@Baking in Pyjamas

6. says

I have done it this way several times and it comes out great every time. I add 1/2 cup sugar and a stick of butter in the cooler after I add the boiling water and the corn comes out even sweeter.

7. David Platt says

I went to Mississippi for a wedding and corn on the cob was served at the wedding. The stove in the kitchen at the reception hall was not the greatest and the idea of trying to cook corn for hundreds of people to be put onto a buffet was a daunting task.

I was staying at a bed and breakfast (it was rural Mississippi) and the woman that runs the B & B told us about cooler corn. Due to time constraints, etc., we decided to try it and it worked! It stayed hot for hours and did not overcook.

8. GInger says

We used this method for a cook out for around 50 people, I think we had upwards of 75 ears of corn – we used a large cooler and several pots of boiling water. Worked like A DREAM.