Winter months in the Midwest call for bowls and bowls full of soup. In my minds eye, there is no better soup than a creamy ham and potato soup that soothes the soul on a cold, cold day. We’re talking comfort food in a bowl.
I’ve made several versions of this recipe over the years, since I often just make things up as I go, no recipe in hand. This recipe for Homemade Ham and Potato Soup totally rocks. And, it truly is the best Ham and Potato Soup I’ve had. Ever.
Seriously. Creamy…with a rich flavor and ah… homemade goodness. You can’t get this in a can–just sayin.
If you’re looking for a stand-by soup recipe that is perfect for cold weather days–read, snowy days in Wisconsin–yes, absolute perfection.
The ingredients in this recipe are simple: a roux of butter and flour, chicken stock, ham, diced potatoes and heavy cream. It takes just about 40 minutes from start to finish, but you can always let this creamy soup simmer on the stove for quite a while.
I dare you to try to stop at just one bowl. I really don’t think that anyone in my house was able to stop eating without going back for seconds. And, being able to cook an entire meal in just one pot? Absolutely ruling the kitchen people! That is how we like to do it.
Ready to say ‘Soup’s on”? Get busy and put this pot of goodness on the stove.
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 32 ounces chicken broth
- 6-8 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 pound ham, cubed
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until there are no lumps. Add chicken broth a little at a time, stirring at the same time.
- Add in potatoes and cubed ham to the soup and cook over low heat for about 30 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Pour in heavy cream, and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Soup can be cooked for longer, just reduce heat to low.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Layered Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Ganache Filling - 2019/09/06
- Pumpkin Lasagna – Pumpkin Dessert Recipes - 2019/09/04
- Pumpkin Poke Cake Recipe – Best Pumpkin Spice Dessert Recipe - 2019/08/24