This One Pan Chicken Verde Skillet is a total comfort food - tender chicken, hearty pinto beans, and a creamy green chile sauce. And it's ready in just 30 minutes!
If you're on the hunt for a dish that’s hearty, bursting with flavor, and easy to whip up, you're in the right spot. I am beyond thrilled to introduce you to my One Pot Chicken Verde Skillet!
What I absolutely adore about this dish is its delicious mix of textures and flavors. The creamy sour cream, melt-in-your-mouth cheese, and the tender chicken make every bite simply divine. And the best part? It’s a one-pot wonder, so it's perfect for busy weeknights too!
This Chicken Verde Skillet Meal is:
- Quick and easy for a weeknight dinner.
- A family friendly meal.
- Loaded with Mexican inspired flavor.
- Total comfort food.
Tips & Tricks
A cast iron skillet works best for this recipe as it evenly distributes heat and can transition from stove to oven effortlessly. If you don't have one available, you can use any oven safe skillet.
Cheat with rotisserie chicken!
You can use a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken to speed up the cooking even more. Just shred it and you're good to go!
Meal prep it
To make this dinner in advance, simply prepare everything except the cheese topping and refrigerate it. When ready to eat, top the skillet with shredded cheese and warm it in the oven.
You can store leftover Chicken Verde in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze leftovers, in individual portion sizes, for up to three months.
Replace the chicken with firm tofu or tempeh for a vegetarian friendly spin.
Spice it Up.
With just ¼ tsp chili powder and green chilies, this dish is mildly spicy as it is. Add some sliced jalapeños or a touch of cayenne pepper if you're in the mood for an extra kick.
Swap the cheese.
Not a fan of Manchego or queso fresco? Cheddar, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella can be fantastic alternatives.
More Tasty Ideas
If you love this Chicken Verde Skillet Dinner, be sure to check out these other tasty ideas:
One Pot Chicken Verde Skillet
- 1 Yellow onion chopped
- 3 tbsp unsalted sweet cream butter
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 2 C chicken broth
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 - 4 oz can chopped green chilies
- 1 - 15 oz can pinto beans
- 3 C shredded chicken
- 1 C sour cream
- 10 corn tortillas cut into triangles
- 1 - 6 oz manchego cheese crumbled
- 1 - 8 oz Queso Fresco crumbled
- Turn the broil function on your oven
- Using a large oven safe skillet, melt the butter over medium to high heat
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the cornstarch and 1 C of chicken broth until combined, set aside
- Pour the other 1 C of broth into the skillet and bring to a slow simmer. Add in the onion and cook until almost soft
- Add in the remaining broth cornstarch mix, salt, pepper, chili powder, and paprika and whisk until combined. Gradually stir until the mixture is thickened
- Mix in the green chilies, pinto beans, and shredded chicken. Continue to cook for 15 minutes or until the broth is gone
- Fold in the tortilla pieces along with the sour cream. Top with all 3 cheese’s and place into the oven for 3-4 minutes or until cheese is melted
- Serve and enjoy.