This simple Black Bean Chicken Chili is packed with protein and loaded with southwest flavor. It's a simple weeknight meal that's ready in under 30 minutes.
In this Article:
As you know, I've been on a chili recipe kick lately. And this Black Bean Chicken Chili is the latest addition to my growing collection of chili recipes.
This is one of those super easy weeknight meals that you're going to want to add to your meal planning repertoire. It's a simple recipe that uses mostly items you probably have in the pantry, and is ready to go in under 30 minutes. What's not to like about that?
This Black Bean Chicken Chili is:
- Packed with flavor from Tex Mex inspired spices.
- Quick & Easy.
- Ready to eat in 30 minutes.
- Family friendly.
- Perfect for busy evenings.
Tips & Tricks
Want to stretch this meal out? This Black Bean Chicken Chili would be AMAZING served over rice! Black beans and rice - you really can't go wrong with a combo like that.
Storing the chili. This chili will keep for 3-5 days in the fridge, or you can freeze it for up to 2 months.
Swap the meat. For a completely different dish, try substituting turkey in place of the chicken. (And if you like that, check out this Panera Turkey Chili recipe too.)
Make it vegetarian. You can also make a plant based version of this recipe by simply leaving out the chicken, and replacing it with some extra beans or chickpeas.
Spice it up. Add some extra spice with sliced jalapenos or a dash of your favorite hot sauce.
More Recipes to Try
If you love this Black Bean Chicken Chili, be sure to check out these other tasty ideas:
Black Bean Chicken Chili
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 yellow onion medium, chopped
- 2 bell peppers red or orange or yellow peppers, sliced
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons chili powder or adjust to preferred spice level
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 30 ounces black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 32 ounces Crushed Tomatoes canned or homemade
- 14 oz diced tomatoes canned, with juices
- 1 cup dark beer
- cheddar cheese shredded
- chili peppers sliced
- sour cream
- cilantro or other fresh herbs
- Spray a large Dutch Oven (or similar large pot) with cooking spray, and heat over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken, bell peppers, onions, celery, and garlic for about 5 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked.
- Add the carrots, chili powder, cumin, and coriander. Cook 3-4 more minutes.
- Stir in the black beans, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes (with their liquid), and beer.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, uncovered, stirring frequently. Cook until heated through and carrots are fork tender.
- Serve topped with the cheddar cheese, sour cream, chili peppers, and herbs - as desired.
Wow this looks good and I think I have all of the ingredients!
Looks yummy! Pinned and looking forward to trying it later this week. Found you on 36th Avenue Blog Party.
April J Harris
This looks so tasty and nutritious, Jessica! Lovely photos too! Sharing. Thank you for bringing this dish to the Hearth and Soul Hop. Hope to see you again this week.
Oh my goodness this looks so yummy! I especially love your photography 🙂 Totally pinning, have a great day! xo