This Maple Bourbon Sweet Potato Bread is the ultimate Fall treat. Packed with warm flavors and topped with a homemade cinnamon glaze, it makes a perfect dessert or even an indulgent breakfast.
Fall is upon us, and that means it's the perfect time to bring out those cozy recipes that warm our souls and please our taste buds. Sweet potato, with its naturally creamy texture and rich, caramel-like sweetness, has always been one of my autumn favorites. And when you pair it with the enchanting flavors of maple syrup and the decadent hint of bourbon, magic happens.
This Maple Bourbon Sweet Potato Bread is a total delight that you'll want to make over and over again this season. I adore it with my morning coffee, or as an afternoon snack with a cozy blanket and a good book. Yum!
Helpful Tips & Tricks
Canned vs Fresh Sweet Potato
I used canned sweet potato for this recipe for simplicity. But if you prefer to use fresh, simply roast or boil them until they're soft and mashable. You will need about 1 ¾ cups of mashed sweet potato.
Checking for Doneness
Every oven is different. To ensure your bread is fully baked, always check a few minutes before the suggested time with a toothpick. When a toothpick inserted comes out clean, the bread is ready to remove from the oven.
Adjusting the Glaze
For a thinner glaze, add a little more milk. For a thicker one, a little more powdered sugar should do the trick.
Storing the Bread
After it has completely cooled, store the sweet potato bread in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days. You can also freeze it for up to three months.
Toast the Pecans
Toasting the pecans before adding them can enhance their flavor. Just pop them in the oven at 350°F for 5-8 minutes.
Alternatives to Heath Bar Bits
Feel free to use toffee bits, caramel chips, or even crushed caramel candies as a fun alternative.
Spice it Up!
Fancy more warmth? Add a pinch of ground cloves or ginger to the batter.
Mix up the Nuts
Not a fan of pecans? Walnuts or even macadamia nuts would be delightful replacements.
More Boozy Twists
If bourbon isn't your favorite, try replacing it with dark rum or even a spiced rum for a different flavor profile.
Add Chocolate Chips
For a touch of sweetness, fold some chocolate chips or dark chocolate chunks into the batter before baking.
More Tasty Ideas
If you love this Sweet Potato Bread, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
Maple Bourbon Sweet Potato Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x5 loaf pan with non stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash sweet potatoes. Add sugar, water, oil, maple syrup, bourbon and eggs to the sweet potatoes Mix to combine.
- In a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix well to combine.
- Add the pecans and mix to combine.
- Pour evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan.
Prepare the Cinnamon glaze.
- Using a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, milk, and ground cinnamon until combined
- Turn the loaf out onto a wire rack to cool completely
- Pour the glaze on top of the bread
- Sprinkle Heath Bar baking bits all over the loaf