Craving a warm cinnamon roll, but don't have hours to spend in the kitchen. Don't worry, I've got you covered! This Cinnamon Bun in a Mug is the ultimate baking hack. You can whip up a warm, gooey cinnamon bun in just minutes.
I am totally in love with this new TikTok inspired recipe - a cinnamon roll in a mug! Yes, I made a cinnamon bun in the microwave. Crazy, huh?
I especially love this recipe because it's a single-serving treat - much like my famous Brownie in a Mug. When I'm craving something sweet and indulgent, it's amazing to be able to make just one cinnamon bun without having a bunch of leftovers tempting me for days. Plus, it's perfect for those moments when you're home alone and want to enjoy a cozy treat all to yourself.
Tips & Variations
Make it gluten free.
I used basic all-purpose flour for this recipe. But for those on a gluten-free diet, almond or coconut flour would be a great alternative. Or substitute your favorite 1:1 gluten free baking flour.
Make it dairy-free.
This recipe can easily be made dairy-free and vegan friendly by substituting the whole milk with a plant based milk, such as cashew or almond milk.
Another interesting twist to the classic cinnamon bun in a mug recipe is adding different flavors or mix-ins. Some ideas include:
- Chocolate chips or cocoa powder for a chocolate cinnamon roll.
- Chopped nuts (like walnuts or pecans) for added crunch and protein.
- Raisins or dried cranberries for a fruity touch.
I topped my cinnamon roll mug cake with a simple sugary glaze. But you can get creative and add some chopped fruit, a dollop of yogurt, or even a sprinkle of your favorite cereal on top. Have fun experimenting and discovering your ultimate cinnamon roll in a mug creation!
More Tasty Ideas
If you love this cinnamon roll in a mug, be sure to check out these other tasty treats:
- Easy Homemade Cinnamon Rolls
- Copycat Cinnabon Cinnamon Rolls
- Cream Cheese Cinnamon Roll Ups
- Cinnamon Sugar Cruffins
Cinnamon Roll in a Mug
- 4 tbsp powdered sugar
- 1 tsp whole milk
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and 4 tablespoons of milk, stirring until a ball of dough forms. If the dough feels sticky, sprinkle in a little extra flour. If it's too dry, add an additional splash of milk.
- Dust your countertop with flour and roll the dough into a square about the height of your mug.
- Lightly brush coconut oil over one side of the square, and then evenly dust with cane sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll the dough into a log shape.
- Grease the inside of your mug with the remaining coconut oil.
- Place the rolled-up dough into the mug.
- Microwave the mug for 50 seconds. If the dough still looks wet, continue microwaving in 5-second bursts until set.
- In a different small bowl, mix the powdered sugar and milk to create the frosting. Pour it over the cinnamon bun in the mug and let it sit for about 30 seconds.
- Dig in right from the mug, or transfer the cinnamon bun to a plate. It's best enjoyed while still warm.