Mexican Rice with Mexican-Style Stuffed Peppers is a meal that has protein and fiber, all in one yummy dish. I can’t imagine anything that could be wrong about a meal so ideal.
This recipe is a little bit more time-involved than what I normally go for, but is worth it. The Mexican Rice alone is the perfect accompaniment to any Mexican recipe you want to cook up.
Once you’ve followed the directions for cooking up the Mexican Rice (see recipe below) all that’s left to do is slice open and seed the peppers, fill half of each pepper portion with refried beans and the other half with Mexican Rice. Pop them in the oven, with or without the rest of the rice.
A variation on this recipe that would cut your cooking time in half–which might very well be worth it for busy weeknight cooking–would be to fill the peppers with only refried beans and then top with cheese for the last 5-7 minutes of the baking time. You could still serve them on top or on the side of the Mexican Rice for the same great flavor.
There really is no way to go wrong with locally grown veggies. Cook them up, eat them raw, but either way- enjoy!
- Prepare Mexican rice by combining olive oil, uncooked rice, and sliced jalapeno in a skillet over medium heat. Stir on and off for about 10 minutes until slightly browned. Add diced tomatoes with peppers, including liquid, and chicken stock. Cover and cook over medium low heat for about 15 minutes. Time will vary depending on the type of rice used, so look at package directions for time.
- To prepare stuffed peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seed. Add refried beans to fill one side of each pepper half, and then fill the other side of each pepper half with some of the Mexican rice. Layer a baking dish with the remaining Mexican rice and then top with stuffed peppers. Cover with foil. Bake on 350 for 30 minutes. Add shredded cheese to the top of stuffed peppers and bake for an additional 5-7 minutes.
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Layered Pumpkin Cake with Pumpkin Ganache Filling - 2019/09/06
- Pumpkin Lasagna – Pumpkin Dessert Recipes - 2019/09/04
- Pumpkin Poke Cake Recipe – Best Pumpkin Spice Dessert Recipe - 2019/08/24