This rotisserie chicken salad is one of my favorite go-to chicken salad recipes. It is a delicious chicken salad loaded with celery, bell peppers, onion, lemon, dill, and more smothered in a creamy base. This low carb chicken salad recipe is full of flavor and will win you over.
You can serve this chicken salad on bread, croissants, lettuce wraps, or eat on crackers if you want. I have a summer chicken salad that is so good too, that you have to try. If you want more low carb recipes, I have a nice list of recipes for you to try out.
This Rotisserie Chicken Salad Recipe Is...
- Quick and Easy
- Low Carb
- Gluten Free
- Nutrient Rich
How to Make Rotisserie Chicken Salad
Full directions on how to make rotisserie chicken salad is in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post. This is a quick walk-through.
- Prep your vegetables and toss in the bowl along with spices.
- Then mash up the avocado in a separate bowl.
- Then mix up the avocado with the veggies.
- Toss in the chicken, and mix with the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well and then serve after it rests for an hour.
Helpful Tips for Chicken Salad
Make sure the chicken is cool when you go to mix it in with the dressing and the veggies. If you buy a fresh rotisserie chicken then make sure to allow it to cool in the fridge before hand.
Make sure that your vegetables are chopped in smaller pieces. You will find that if you make the pieces too large that it will make eating the salad harder. As the vegetables will stand out too much.
Variations to Low Carb Chicken Salad
Instead of mayonnaise you can use sour cream for this recipe. Regular sour cream or even light sour cream will work great for this salad.
If you want to add additional protein to the chicken salad you can add in replace of mayonnaise. This is a great swap that makes it even healthier.
You can add in extra veggies or leave some vegetables out if you want to change up the flavor. Feel free to change up with vegetables you enjoy.
Chicken Salad FAQs
How long does rotisserie chicken salad last?
You can expect this salad to last 3-5 days when stored in the fridge in an airtight container. This salad just needs to be stirred a bit before serving to re-incorporate the mixture.
Can you freeze chicken salad?
Since this has vegetables in it, you will find the texture of the salad will be a lot different once it thaws from being frozen. It is recommended to not freeze any of the salad.
Do I have to use rotisserie chicken?
You can use any type of cooked chicken. The biggest thing is make sure the chicken doesn't have a ton of seasoning or it will affect the flavor of your salad quite a bit.
Rotisserie Chicken Salad
- 2 pounds rotisserie chicken fully cooked store bought with white and dark meat
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 red onion small
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- ¼ cup scallions sliced
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ avocado
- bread optional for serving
- Combine the celery, bell pepper, and onion in a mixing bowl. Add the garlic, paprika, salt, pepper, mustard, lemon juice, dill, parsley, and mayonnaise into the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mash the avocado with a fork until smooth.
- Add the avocado to the vegetable mixture and mix until everything is combined well.
- Shred the chicken meat from the rotisserie chicken with a fork.
- Remove all the white and dark meat and place it on a cutting board. Roughly chop into smaller pieces. Do not include the skin.
- Add the chopped chicken into the bowl with the veggie mixture and fold together until well combined.
- Chill for 1 hour before serving. Top with scallions for garnish, and serve over toasted bread if desired.
- The two pound rotisserie chicken should give you about 7 cups of chicken meat.
- Make sure the chicken is cold before shredding, as it is easier to remove the meat.
- For a fun variation, try adding grapes and apples for sweetness or sliced almonds for some crunch!
- The rotisserie chicken salad will keep for 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
- This chicken salad is also delicious served with croissants, crackers, or tortilla wraps.
- For a lighter version, replace the mayo with plain greek yogurt.