All it takes is 4 ingredients to make this delicious and sweet birthday cake popcorn. This is a microwave popcorn that is smothered in cake batter with white chocolate and sprinkles. A quick and easy snack or dessert to serve up.
If you are the type who loves popcorn, give this dessert popcorn recipe a try. It takes like birthday cake with a nice popcorn crunch. Elevate the flavor of your favorite popcorn snack with this funfetti popcorn recipe. Try my birthday cake ice cream as well.
This Birthday Cake Popcorn Recipe Is...
- Quick and Easy
- Can Use Bagged Microwave Popcorn
- Budget Friendly
- Made with Cake Mix
How to Make Birthday Cake Popcorn
Full steps on how to make birthday cake popcorn are in the printable recipe card below. This is a quick walk through on how it is made.
- Start by popping your popcorn and then pour onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Next, melt chocolate, and then stir well till smooth.
- Pour in the cake mix, and stir again until smooth and no clumps.
- Pour over the popcorn, and top with sprinkles.
- Let the popcorn cool and chocolate harden. Then break it apart.
Helpful Tips for Birthday Cake Popcorn
Heat Treat Cake Mix
Eating cake mix raw can carry unsafe bacteria. So it is suggest to heat treat the cake mix before mixing with the chocolate. If you want to cook cake mix before you start just spread on a thin layer on microwave safe plate. Cook for 1-2 minutes getting the cake mix hot and you want it to reach 165 degrees internally. This will kill off any bacteria on the flour.
I suggest to not use a butter style popcorn. To have it be pretty plain in flavor is key, as it will overtake the sweet flavor if it is strongly salted or buttered.
Toss to Coat
Once you get the chocolate on make sure to toss the popcorn so it coats all areas of the popcorn. Just mix gently with a spatula and try not to break the popcorn too much.
Birthday Cake Popcorn Variations
You can use a classic white cake mix if you want instead of a funfetti flavor. Any flavor of cake mix works, I find that using white or funfetti looks the best with the chocolate.
Toss in some candy M&Ms, sprinkles, or even chopped candy. This will add an extra layer of color and flavor to the popcorn mix. Get creative and have fun.
Birthday Cake Popcorn FAQs
Can I make this popcorn in advance?
Yes, you sure can. Just whip it up and once the chocolate is set then store in an airtight container or sealed bag at room temperature on the counter. The popcorn will stay freshest that way and prevent it from going stale. You can make this up to 24 hours in advance.
Does this recipe double?
Sure, you can make as much or as little as you want. Just adjust the recipe as you need to. This is such a simple dessert that truly can be made in larger batches.
How to get chocolate to set up faster?
Add in a teaspoon of coconut oil to the chocolate when you go to melt it. The coconut oil will help the chocolate to harden faster. You can do 1 teaspoon or even 2 teaspoons if you want to make extra popcorn.
Birthday Cake Popcorn
- 1 3.4 oz bag of microwave popcorn popped
- 8 ounces white chocolate pieces or vanilla candy coating
- ¼ cup funfetti cake mix
- ⅓ cup rainbow sprinkles and/or mini M&Ms use one or a mix of both to your liking
- Pop the popcorn, per package directions.
- Pour popcorn onto a parchment-lined baking sheet
- Melt the white chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook on HIGH for 45 seconds, then stir. Then cook again for 30 seconds, and stir. Repeat until fully melted.
- Stir the cake mix into the white chocolate, and stir until smooth.
- Pour the white chocolate mixture over the popcorn.
- Add the sprinkles and candies. Toss to coat.
- Let the popcorn cool completely.
- Break into pieces and enjoy!
- The leftover cake mix can be frozen in ziplock bags for future use.
- Feel free to use any type of sprinkles or candy of your choice!