This easy and delicious creamed corn can be thrown together in just 15 minutes, thanks to the use of convenient frozen corn kernels. Easy peasy!
This recipe was sponsored by Collective Bias, Inc. All opinions are mine.
Cream Style Corn is one of my favorite holiday side dishes. It's a tried and true recipe that is always guaranteed to be a crowd pleaser.
But I do not always love cooking corn from scratch. It's just so much work - shucking the corn, slicing the kernels from the cob, getting them all clean. So I've improvised and come up with the incredibly easy creamed corn recipe, that can be made in just 15 minutes!
The secret ingredient is frozen corn kernels. And I promise this is the quickest and easiest creamed corn you'll ever make!
How to Make Creamed Corn - Step by Step
This corn is seriously so easy to make. But if you need a little assistance, here are some step by step instructions with pictures to walk you through making it.
First, melt the butter in a pan. This can be a skillet or a saucepan. I like to use a nonstick skillet for easy clean up.
Then, add in ½ cup of finely chopped sweet onions. Using sweet onions is the key here, because they add a wonderful sweetness to the final dish.
Sauté the onions for a good 5 minutes, and then add in the flour.
Stir the onions and flour together while continuing to cook for an additional couple of minutes.
Next, add in the milk and broth. You can use chicken broth, or use vegetable broth for a vegetarian friendly version.
Stir the milk and broth into the the onion and flour mixture until it's nice and smooth. You can use a whisk if needed, to remove any lumps remaining from the flour.
Meanwhile, prep your frozen corn according to the package instructions, which are typically just a few minutes in the microwave.
Let everything cook together for a few more minutes until the sauce is thickened and the corn is well coated.
Season with salt and pepper, to your personal taste. Then, scoop the creamed corn into a serving bowl and enjoy.
I used Bird's Eye Steamfresh frozen corn kernels for this recipe. It's a brand I really enjoy. I can always count on fresh flavor, and I love the ability to steam the corn right in the bag.
This recipe can easily be made vegetarian by simply using vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
If you love this creamed corn, be sure to check out these other delicious recipes:
- 5 Minute Black Bean and Corn Salad
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder
- Copycat Chipotle Corn Salsa
- More Amazing Side Dishes!
15-Minute Creamed Corn - from frozen corn!
- Melt butter over medium heat and cook onions, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until very soft. Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes.2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- Meanwhile, prepare the frozen corn kernels according to package directions. I prefer the type that you can steam in the bag, in the microwave.10 oz frozen corn kernels
- Add the milk, broth and cooked corn and bring to a boil over medium heat.½ cup milk, ¼ cup chicken or vegetable broth
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until sauce is thickened. Season with salt and pepper.¼ tsp salt, inch black pepper