Looking for a simple dinner idea this week? If so try out this easy beef stir fry which is a thinly sliced steak, vegetables and paired with a homemade stir fry sauce. Whip this up for the whole family to enjoy.
This Beef Stir Fry Recipe Is..
- 30 minute dinner idea
- Homemade sauce
- Serve with rice or noodles
- Use your favorite vegetables
- Family friendly meal
How to Make
Full steps on how to make the stir fry is featured in the printable recipe card below. This is a quick walk through.
- Mix up the sauce as directed. Set it aside.
- Thinly slice the steak and then coat in cornstarch.
- Heat the skillet and add oil. Once skillet is warm then toss in the steak.
- Sear until it is cooked and remove the steak. Toss in the veggies, and cook until done.
- Stir in the steak and sauce mixture and cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Serve over a bed of rice and garnish as you wish.
Tools for Success
Large Skillet or Wok
Make sure to use a large skillet or Wok for making your stir fry. The key is to make sure to not overcrowd the skillet.
Reach for a whisk to mix up the sauce. It is going to ensure it is mixed well. Make sure to mix right before you pour into the skillet.
Helpful Tips For Stir Fry
Evenly Cut Vegetables
When making a stir fry you want to make sure your vegetables are evenly sliced. Otherwise you will find you have an uneven cook on the veggies.
Coating Beef in Cornstarch
Coating the beef in cornstarch is going to help tenderize the beef. Also make sure to thinly slice the beef against the grain to offer a tender beef end result.
Heat Oil In Skillet
Make sure you heat your oil before you toss the beef into the skillet. This is going to create a nice sear on the beef.
Variations to Stir Fry Recipe
Reach for any type of vegetables you want. Broccoli, zucchini, different colored peppers, and so on. Feel free to use any flavor of veggies you like. Cook to your desired doneness.
Reach for thin sliced chicken or pork instead of beef. It is going to cook the same way, just make sure the meat is fully cooked before you remove from the skillet.
Feel free to change up the flavor of the sauce by adding less or more spices, or reach for your favorite bottled sauce if you will.
Beef Stir Fry FAQs
What is the traditional way to serve stir fry?
You will find that a lot of times stir fry is served with rice or lo-mein noodles. Feel free to do whichever you prefer. If you want a low-carb option, do a cauliflower rice.
What type of rice do you serve with stir fry?
You can use Jasmine rice, white long grain rice, or even your favorite type of fried rice if you will. Just cook it according to the package.
How long will stir fry store for in the fridge?
The stir fry will last for 3-4 days in the fridge. Just place in an airtight container and store in the fridge and reheat in the microwave or a skillet on the stovetop.
Easy Beef Stir Fry
- ½ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup Mirin or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 lime juiced, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ¼ lb skirt or flank steak sliced against the grain
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 1 cup snow peas
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- Fresh cilantro chopped for garnish
- 2 green onions chopped for garnish
- Cooked white rice for serving
- Whisk together the soy sauce, garlic, Mirin, sesame oil, lime juice, and ground ginger in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Slice the steak against the grain and add it to a large bowl. Mix the steak with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch. Set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the hot skillet.
- Add the steak, and sear on all sides for 3 to 5 minutes. Remove the steak to a plate.
- Heat the additional tablespoon of vegetable oil in the same skillet. Add the bell peppers, onions, and snow peas. Saute the vegetables until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the steak and soy sauce mixture to the skillet. Stir and cook until the sauce has thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir in the basil.
- Serve the stir-fry over rice garnished with cilantro, green onions, and lime wedges.
- I prefer skirt or flank steak for this recipe, but you can use any cut of steak that you like (ribeye, filet mignon, New York strip).
- Ground beef will also work here. Please use 1 pound of 90% lean ground beef and brown the beef in a skillet. Once finished, remove the cooked beef to a plate and drain the grease from the pan. Proceed with step 5 in the instructions.
- Vegetable add-ins: diced zucchini, broccoli, baby corn, mushrooms, and asparagus. This is a versatile recipe that you can customize to your liking.
- Mirin or rice wine vinegar can be found in most Asian food aisles in grocery stores.
- Using fresh ginger root instead of ginger powder will give you amazing flavor. If you do find fresh ginger, peel the skin off and then use a Microplane to grate it into the soy sauce mixture. You can store the peeled ginger in a ziplock bag in the freezer.
- Serve this over cauliflower rice, noodles, or in lettuce wraps.
- Leftovers will store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To reheat, pour into a skillet or saucepan and heat on low until warmed through.