This recipe is by far my favorite Christmas recipe. There’s nothing about the dish that makes it particularly Christmassy, but it’s been a Christmas morning tradition in my family for as long as I can remember. Since it does take some time to prepare, my mother only ever makes it for Christmas morning (usually assembling it the day before, refrigerating it overnight, and baking it in the morning), so it’s always been a very special treat in our family. Eating this casserole always takes me back to previous Christmases and all the wonderful memories that we’ve made.
This casserole doesn’t just carry sentimental value, though. It packs a ton of flavor, including boiled eggs, bacon, cheese sauce, and (I know it sounds weird) potato chips. It’s just the right blend of crunchy and creamy, and I can never have just one serving! Needless to say, there are rarely leftovers.
An added bonus is that it’s very simple to make gluten free. Since the flour is only included as a thickening agent, it can easily be substituted with a good gluten free all-purpose flour, which can be found at most large grocery stores, rice flour, or even corn starch. If you don’t need to make it gluten free, you can just stick with regular flour. I’m so glad that I can still eat this even now that I’m gluten free.
8 eggs, boiled and sliced
10-12 slices of bacon, crisp and crumbled
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tbsp gluten free flour or cornstarch
6-8 oz velveeta cheese
1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 cups milk
Cook the onion in butter until it’s tender, then blend in flour. Use gluten free all purpose flour, rice flour, or cornstarch to ensure that the recipe is gluten free. Add milk to the mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Chop up the cheese and add it in, stirring until melted. Place a layer of sliced egg in the baking dish. Cover with half of the cheese sauce, half of the potato chips, and half of the bacon. Repeat. Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes, and it’s ready.
I recommend serving it up with some other breakfast favorites, like biscuits and gravy, bacon, and fruit. I hope you and your family enjoy this recipe as much as I have!
- 8 eggs, boiled and sliced
- 10-12 slices of bacon, crisp and crumbled
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour or cornstarch
- 6-8 oz velveeta cheese
- 1 1/2 cups crushed potato chips
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- Cook the onion in butter until it's tender.
- Blend in flour. (Use gluten free all purpose flour, rice flour, or cornstarch to ensure that the recipe is gluten free.)
- Add milk to the mixture and cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Chop up the cheese and add it in, stirring until melted.
- Place a layer of sliced egg in the baking dish.
- Cover with half of the cheese sauce, half of the potato chips, and half of the bacon.
- Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes