Who doesn’t like a good fried apple fritter? We sure do! That might be surprising considering that we don’t really indulge in a lot of fried foods around here…but there is something to be said for a sweet treat that comes out of the fryer.
Give us funnel cake, give us apple fritters… these are a few of our favorite treats–in moderation, of course.
Homemade Apple Fritters for the Win!
You can make sweet homemade apple fritters for breakfast or dessert. Either way, you’ve got yourself a winner.
Like apple recipes? So do we!
If that’s not enough, we’re also fans of these amazing apple cookbooks:
- The Apple Cookbook, 3rd Edition: 125 Freshly Picked Recipes
- An Apple A Day: 365 Recipes with Creative Crafts, Fun Facts, and 12 Recipes from Celebrity Chefs Inside!
- Easy Apple Cookbook: 50 Delicious Apple Recipes (Apple Cookbook, Apple Recipes, Apple Cook Book, Fruit Recipes, Fruit Cookbook Book 1)
We eat so many sliced apples in our household that at a recent doctor appointment, the doctor even make a joke that my daughter shouldn’t be needing to see a doctor because she is eating way more than an apple a day. Ah, if only that old adage were completely true!
Make these delicious apple fritters any time of year, but they are especially nice as a sweet treat on special days. Think birthdays, Valentine’s day, or any other day that you want to show that special someone just how much you care.
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup sweet apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup strawberry or maple syrup
- Place the 2 cups of canola oil into a deep fryer or heavy pan and allow to heat to 365 degrees.
- Pour the milk into a bowl with the slightly beaten egg and whisk to combine.
- Add the apples to the mixture and gently stir to incorporate.
- In a separate mixing bowl toss together the flour, 1 tablespoon sugar, the baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and the salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the egg and milk and blend until all the dry ingredients are just moistened.
- Drop 3 to 4 teaspoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry 4 minutes, turning occasionally for even browning.
- Remove the fritters when they are a golden brown with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to drain.
- Continue deep frying in this manner being sure to allow the oil to return to the correct temperature before adding a new batch.
- Place the remaining sugar and 3/4 t of the cinnamon into a sealable plastic bag.
- Add the fritters a couple at time.
- Seal the bag after each addition and shake to cover the fritters well.
- Place the fritters on plates.
- Place the syrup into a microwave safe bowl.
- Stir in the remaining cinnamon until well combined.
- Microwave on high for 30 seconds or until the syrup is warmed.
- Pour the syrup over the fritters just before serving.
Serving Size: 16 fritters