With the sweetness of ripe pears and a kick of fresh ginger, this Pear Ginger Jam is a delightful twist on a classic. Let's get jamming!
Homemade jam might sound like a ton of work. I mean, that's like homesteading stuff, right? Well, let me assure you that I have neither the time or patience for that version.
This easy homemade pear ginger jam is simply cooked up on the stovetop and only requires four simple ingredients to make. No pectin or other weird ingredients here. 😉
But wow - it sure tastes like it took days to make. This jam is a treat for the brunch table or a perfect companion for simple buttered toast on a cold morning.
Ready, set, jam!
Pick the right pears
Make sure your pears are ripe, but still a bit firm, to get the best texture in your jam. I used Bartlett pears!
Mince the ginger very small
Be sure to really mince the ginger finely. The larger pieces can become too chewy in the finished jam.
Cook it low and slow
Don't rush the cooking process - a slow, simmering boil helps develop the flavors and achieve that perfect jammy consistency. Stir the jam regularly when cooking to avoid scorching the bottom.
Storing the Jam
Store in a clean, covered container in the fridge. Mason jars work best!
Add cinnamon. Try adding a stick of cinnamon to the pot while simmering for some extra Fall flare.
Pineapple jam. For a tropical twist, substitute half of the pears with chopped pineapples.
Add more citrus. If you need a little more tang, add some finely grated orange or lemon zest.
Spice lover? Add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes for an unexpected kick of heat.
More Tasty Ideas
If you love this simple pear ginger jam, be sure to check out these other delicious ideas:
- Strawberry Freezer Jam
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- Brie and Raspberry Jam Bruschetta
- Homemade Pear Preserves
Pear Ginger Jam
- 3 lbs Barlett pears
- 2.5 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger finely minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Begin by peeling the pears and removing their cores. Dice the pears into small pieces.
- Mince the ginger finely.
- Take a medium-sized pot and combine the diced pears, sugar, chopped ginger, and lemon juice.
- Place the pot over low to medium heat. Stir continuously until the sugar mostly dissolves.
- Allow the mixture to simmer gently for approximately 1 hour to 1 hour 30 minutes. Watch for the sugar to turn a golden hue and the pears to attain a jammy consistency. Once achieved, remove from the heat.
- Let the jam cool for roughly 30 minutes before transferring it into jars (or other covered containers) for storage in the refrigerator.