Curb those brownie cravings with this quick and easy, 3-minute Brownie In A Mug. Whip up a single serve brownie in minutes!
Add a scoop of ice cream, whipped cream, or even a sprinkle of diced fruit, and dive in. This warm, gooey brownie takes only minutes to make in the microwave.
You've probably heard of mug cakes, but have you heard of a brownie in a mug? This Brownie In A Mug gives you that fudgy brownie you're craving. It's a great single-serve dessert that won't leave you tempted to eat a whole pan.
But for those times when you want a bigger dessert, I love this delicious Vegan Coffee Cake—crispy, cinnamon-y, and sweet! Or, if you really just want a lot of brownies, this brownie recipe makes plenty (and they're relatively healthy)!
This Brown In A Mug is...
- Quick to make
- Cooked in 60 seconds
- A great single-serve dessert
- Easily made dairy-free (opt for plant-based dairy replacement)
- Easily made gluten-free (use a gluten-free flour blend)
How to Make Brownie In A Mug
- Start by adding your dry ingredients to a microwave-safe mug. Whisk ingredients together to mix them up.
- Add in the wet ingredients until well combined; then add in the chocolate chips and nuts.
- Microwave for 60 seconds. If brownie is still wet, cook in microwave for another 30 seconds.
- Remove carefully from the microwave and serve.
Tips & Tricks For Brownie In A Mug
Make sure to use a microwave-safe mug that is fairly large in size. If you choose a smaller sized mug, your brownie may overflow.
Watch the Cooking Time
All microwaves heat differently. Make sure that you don't overcook the brownie, or it will dry it out. If needed, continue cooking in 10-second increments after you finish the first cook cycle.
Variations To Brownie In A Mug
Swap the walnuts with pecans or another type of nut—or just leave them out.
Peanut Butter or Nutella
Add a teaspoon of Nutella or peanut butter to the center of the brownie once cooked. The heat from the brownie will warm it up and make it melt.
Consider mixing in Heath chips, peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or any other flavored chips. Just swap out the chocolate chips for one or more of these options.
Brownie in A Mug FAQs
Can I make Brownie In A Mug in advance?
You can't really make this recipe in advance. You will find this dessert is best served fresh and warm from the microwave.
How to make this recipe gluten-free?
Reach for a gluten-free flour blend to replace the all-purpose flour in the recipe.
Can I use dark cocoa instead of classic cocoa for a mug brownie?
Go right ahead and reach for dark cocoa if you want. It will add a richer depth of chocolate to the brownie.
Brownie in a Mug
- Place dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking powder) in a large microwave-safe mug. Whisk to combine.
- Add milk, oil, and vanilla extract; stir to combine well.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Place mug in the microwave and cook for 60 seconds on high power.
- Check the mug brownie—if batter is still wet, cook for another 30 seconds. Usually, they remain just a bit raw in the centre after the first 60 seconds, and that’s a clue to stop; if not, your brownie could end up overcooked and dry.
- You can make a dairy-free version of this mug cake by swapping the milk for almond or soy milk.