Soft and chewy Rocky Road Cookies are made with just 5 simple ingredients. In this recipe, a Devil's Food cookie is paired with pecans and topped with a toasted marshmallow.
In this Article:
If you are a fan of rocky road, this dessert is really gonna hit the spot. These cookies are great after dinner, taken to bake sales, brought to cookie swaps, or served up at a party.
This Rocky Road Cookies recipe is...
- Made with boxed cake mix
- Quick to prep
- Easy to clean up
- Topped with gooey marshmallow
Get the latest scoop on all the recipes I'm whipping up in the kitchen by following along with All She Cooks on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Also, don't forget to join my Facebook Group where you can share your favorite blogger recipes: Easy & Delicious Recipes.
How to Make Rocky Road Cookies
- Preheat the oven and prep your baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, add your cake mix, egg, and oil. Mix well.
- Fold in the nuts, and form dough into 12 balls on baking sheet.
- Bake as directed, then top with marshmallows.
- Return cookies to oven under broil heat.
- Remove cookies from oven and spread marshmallows.
- Cool and devour!
Helpful Tips for Making Rocky Road Cookies
Silicone Baking Mat
I recommend investing in some silicone baking mats. They provide a great non-stick surface. Plus, they can be easily washed and reused! They make clean up a breeze and help save the environment.
Forming same-sized cookies allows all of your cookies to bake evenly in the same amount of time. To keep my cookies the same size, I invested in cookie scoops for baking. With a cookie scoop it's easy to just scoop, roll, and place your dough on the baking sheet!
Variations to Rocky Road Cookies
Cake Mix Flavor
I used a Devil's Food chocolate cake mix, but you are welcome to use any flavor of chocolate cake mix. Or, you could even use a vanilla cake mix if you want to switch up the classic rocky road flavor. Really any cake mix will work for this recipe!
I used a large marshmallow, but you could place mini marshmallows on top of your cookies if you want. You could even use marshmallow fluff, but it will a messier process.
Swap the pecans with chopped peanuts or even walnuts. Feel free to use whatever nut you prefer. As for me, I loved the flavor of the pecans with the marshmallow.
Rocky Road Cookies FAQs
How should I store these cookies?
These cookies will store fine at room temperature for 4–5 days. You will find that the first few days are best, as after that the cookies start to dry out a bit.
Can you freeze rocky road cookies?
To freeze, place the cookies in a single layer and store them in the freezer them for 3–4 months. Or if you want to stack the cookies, use wax paper in between layers to prevent them from sticking together.
Then when you want to eat a cookie, simply thaw it on the counter for around an hour or so.
Can I double this recipe?
Go right ahead and double this recipe if you want! Just bake the cookies in batches. You can place the finished cookies on a cooling rack until cooled and then store them.
Rocky Road Cookies
- 1 box Devil’s Food Cake Mix approximately 16 oz
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 12 marshmallows giant ones!
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, eggs, and oil.
- Fold in the chopped pecans.
- Using your hands or a cookie scoop, form the cookie dough into 12 balls and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Bake cookies for 5 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven
- Top each cookie with a marshmallow.
- Turn the oven to broil. Place the cookies back in the oven and broil for 1–2 minutes, or until the marshmallows are slightly toasted.
- Remove the cookies from the oven. Press down on the marshmallows with a large spoon or spatula to evenly spread the marshmallow over the top of each cookie.
- Let cool before serving.