This Skillet Steak is a one pan meal that will blow your mind. Ready in 30 minutes, seasoned dry rub steak is paired with peppers and onions. This easy cast iron steak recipe is a must try!
In this Article:
Cooking steak in a skillet is really easy to do, and the flavor is delicious. The skillet will help you sear your steak, locking in all the delicious flavors!
This Skillet Steak - One Pan Meal recipe is...
- A one pan meal
- Ready in 30 minutes
- Quick and easy
- Dry rubbed steak
- Delicious and juicy
Get the latest scoop on all the recipes I'm whipping up in the kitchen by following along with All She Cooks on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Also, don't forget to join my Facebook Group where you can share your favorite blogger recipes: Easy & Delicious Recipes.
How to Make Skillet Steak - One Pan Meal
- Mix together all your seasonings in a bowl.
- Sprinkle the dry rub on the steak and massage it in. Flip the steak and repeat.
- Heat oil in cast iron skillet, then add onions, peppers, and leftover seasoning.
- Pan fry for a few minutes, then push veggies to edge and toss in the steak.
- Sear the steak on both sides to your desired doneness.
- Once steak is done, remove and let it rest 5 minutes before slicing.
The full directions for how to make Skillet Steak - One Pan Meal are in the printable recipe card at the bottom of the post.
Helpful Tips for Skillet Steak - One Pan Meal
Using a heavy duty skillet like a cast iron really helps to create that melt-in-your-mouth crust that you want on your steak. If you use a skillet that's too light-weight, it will not cook as evenly.
For this recipe, you are going to be cooking steak... And we all know everyone has a preferred doneness. Just cook your steak as you would like it. Here are some temperatures to help ensure you cook your steak to the desired doneness:
- Medium Rare—130 to 135°F
- Medium—135 to 145°F
- Medium Well—145 to 155°F
- Well Done—155°F and higher
Variations to Skillet Steak - One Pan Meal
Cut of Steak
For this recipe, you can use whatever cut of steak you want—a ribeye, KC strip, New York strip, etc. are all great cuts. Even a filet mignon is a nice cut! You will find that depending on the type of steak, the quality will vary.
You can use any type of seasoning you want. I created a homemade rub, but you can use any brand of store-bought rub or make your own dry rub that you enjoy.
Toss in some sliced mushrooms with the pepper and onions. This will give your steak even more flavor and make the veggie mix into an even heartier side paired with your steak.
Skillet Steak - One Pan Meal FAQs
How long does it take to cook a steak in a skillet?
Depending on the doneness you want for your steak, it can take around 5–7 minutes to cook per side of the steak. The more rare you prefer your steak, the less cook time it requires to cook.
Is a skillet good for cooking steak?
Steak cooked in a skillet is delicious and juicy. You will find that cast iron steaks are the best, as the skillet will become screaming hot. This heat in the skillet creates a sear similar to grilling.
What is the best steak to pan fry?
Ribeye steaks and New York steaks are both very popular for pan frying as they have a nice marbling. The fat will render down and help ensure the steak doesn't dry out. You don't want to use a super lean cut of steak, or it will become chewy and dry.
Skillet Steak - One Pan Meal
- In a small bowl, mix together the chili powder, oregano, cumin, garlic power, and salt.
- Sprinkle half the seasoning mixture over each side of the steak.
- Heat oil over medium heat. Then add onions, peppers, and the remaining seasonings.
- Cook until onions are soft, about 3–4 minutes.
- Push the veggies to one side of the skillet, then add the steak and cook until desired done-ness (about 5–6 minutes each side).
- Once the steak has been cooked, remove the pan from the heat and allow the steak to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing. Toss the steak slices with the peppers and onions, and serve.
- You can swap the peppers and onions for veggies of your choice. Mushrooms and zucchini also work well!