Best Baked Pasta Recipes – Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake
Glorious Dinner in the Oven
Yesterday when browsing around, I had an AhHa! moment.
I’ve always loved baked ziti and lasagna, but never thought of trying a baked pasta recipe with bow-tie pasta. I don’t know why, because bow-tie pasta is so much fun.
I love pasta so much that I’ve tinkered around with the idea of buying a pasta maker so I can make all kinds of nummy homemade pastas. We had one growing up and I remember that it was fun to use.
I thought I would spice things up a bit, and decided to use sausage instead of ground beef… the only reason why: I’ve had a couple rounds of sausage taking up room in my freezer not being used.
So… Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake was born. And no, I didn’t even use spicy sausage… just regular old mild breakfast sausage. But, you totally could use spicy Italian sausage–which is in fact one of my favorite things to cook with!
Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake Recipe
- 3 cups bow-tie pasta
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 2 cups tomato puree or sauce
- 1 1/2 cups cottage cheese or Ricotta if you prefer
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper more or less depending on preference, I found 1/2 teaspoon had just the right kick without being over-powering
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Boil water for pasta and cook according to box directions, but set timer for the minimum cooking time, drain.
- Brown the sausage and drain grease.
- In a big mixing bowl combine tomato puree, cottage cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of Mozzarella and seasonings. Mix until well blended.
- Add bow-tie pasta and sausage to the mixture and stir until mixed evenly.
- Pour into an 8×8 baking dish and sprinkle 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese over the top. Put in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Enjoy!