Best Baked Pasta Recipes - Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake
Glorious Dinner in the Oven
Yesterday when browsing around, I had an AhHa! moment.
I've always loved baked ziti and lasagna, but never thought of trying a baked pasta recipe with bow-tie pasta. I don't know why, because bow-tie pasta is so much fun.
I love pasta so much that I've tinkered around with the idea of buying a pasta maker so I can make all kinds of nummy homemade pastas. We had one growing up and I remember that it was fun to use.
I thought I would spice things up a bit, and decided to use sausage instead of ground beef... the only reason why: I've had a couple rounds of sausage taking up room in my freezer not being used.
So... Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake was born. And no, I didn't even use spicy sausage... just regular old mild breakfast sausage. But, you totally could use spicy Italian sausage--which is in fact one of my favorite things to cook with!
Spicy Sausage Pasta Bake Recipe
- 3 cups bow-tie pasta
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 2 cups tomato puree or sauce
- 1 ½ cups cottage cheese or Ricotta if you prefer
- 1 egg
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese divided
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon red pepper more or less depending on preference, I found ½ teaspoon had just the right kick without being over-powering
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Boil water for pasta and cook according to box directions, but set timer for the minimum cooking time, drain.
- Brown the sausage and drain grease.
- In a big mixing bowl combine tomato puree, cottage cheese, egg, Parmesan cheese and ½ cup of Mozzarella and seasonings. Mix until well blended.
- Add bow-tie pasta and sausage to the mixture and stir until mixed evenly.
- Pour into an 8×8 baking dish and sprinkle ½ cup Mozzarella cheese over the top. Put in the oven and bake for 15 minutes or until bubbly. Enjoy!