Growing up, Sunday mornings meant coffee cake! Pecan, strawberry, cream cheese filled. Occasionally, my mom would make the cinnamon rolls that come in the cardboard tube and let me put on the icing from the plastic packet. I was pretty sure there was no better taste or smell than that of those cinnamon rolls. However, that was long before I was introduced to this amazing recipe for Apple Butter Coffee Cake!
This delicious treat that marries together so many great tastes and smells (apple butter, raisins, cinnamon) is on a level my childhood coffee cakes never even knew existed! A little crunchy on the outside, a little gooey on the inside and full of buttery, sweet, cinnamon flavor. Grab a cup of coffee and then prepare to be transported to coffee cake heaven by this Apple Butter Coffee Cake.
But First...Some Apple Butter Fun Facts
- What's the difference between applesauce and apple butter? Well, they are similar in that they both are made by slow cooking apples with water, spices and a touch of sugar. However, apple butter is cooked much longer so that it reduces down to a deliciously thick, caramelized spread.
- Apple butter can keep for up to 3 months after opened if continually refrigerated. So if you have some leftover after making this recipe, slather some of that amazing spread on a slice of warm toast or a fresh piece of bread with butter.
- You may wonder if apple butter is good for you. After all, it is made from healthy apples, right? Well, yes it is, but it is also high in sugar, so might not exactly fall into the "healthy" food column. However, apple butter has fiber in it thanks to the apples, which makes it a smidge better for you than traditional jelly. So let's just take that smidge and savor the flavor.
How To Make Apple Butter Coffee Cake Step By Step
Step #1: Heat butter and milk over low on the stovetop until butter has melted. Cool to lukewarm.
Step #2: In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and beat in the egg yolk.
Step #3: Blend in the cooled milk mixture.
Step #4: Next ,sift in the flour, salt, and beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
Step #5: Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
Step #6: The next day, blend walnuts, raisins, milk and apple butter in a saucepan over medium-low.
Step #7: Stir until the mixture thickens and then let cool.
Step #8: Divide dough into two equal pieces (4 if using 2 small bread pans) and dust each with flour.
Step #9: Roll out (one at a time) to make a large circle. and roll up like a jelly roll. Set aside.
Step #10: Beat egg whites until stiff and slowly add in the 1 cup of sugar.
Step #11: Fold into the cooled apple butter walnut mixture.
Step #12: Pour half of the walnut filling onto the dough and spread out over the dough.
Step #13: Roll up like a jelly roll and then set aside.
Step #14: Place on stovetop and let rise for 30 minutes while preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
Step #15: Bake for 40-45 minutes.
Step #16: Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then invert to a cake plate.
Then slice, serve and enjoy!
Scrumptious Breakfast Recipes Similar to Apple Butter Coffee Cake
Looking for something else slightly sticky and cinnamon-y? Then try this recipe for the Best Homemade Cinnamon Rolls.
My favorite has always been cheese danish, which is why this Easy Cream Cheese Danish recipe would be top of my list. Gotta love that it says "easy"!
Or if you want something a bit not-so-sweet, serve up these Copycat Restaurant Style Biscuits. Just top them off with a little butter and they are good to go. (Of course, a little jelly never hurt, either!)
Apple Butter Coffee Cake
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup milk
- 2 packages dry yeast
- ¼ cup warm water
- 3 eggs separated, reserve the egg whites
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup walnuts chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup milk
- 1 cup apple butter
- reserved egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- Heat butter and milk over low on the stovetop until butter has melted. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast in the warm water and beat in the egg yolk.
- Blend in the cooled milk mixture.
- Sift in the flour, salt, and Beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, blend walnuts, raisins, milk and apple butter in a saucepan over medium-low.
- Stir until the mixture thickens and then let cool.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and slowly add in the 1 cup of sugar. Fold into the cooled apple butter walnut mixture.
- Spray bread pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Divide dough into two equal pieces (4 if using 2 small bread pans) and dust each with flour.
- Roll out (one at a time) to make a large circle. Pour half of the walnut filling onto the dough and spread out over the dough and roll up like a jelly roll. Set aside.
- Roll out second piece of dough and repeat the process. When done, twist the two pieces of filled dough together, making a braid or twist. Place in carefully in bread pan.
- Place on stovetop and let rise for 30 minutes while preheating the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 15 minutes and then invert to a cake plate.