Chewy M&M Granola Bars
Hi! It's Fiona stopping in from Just So Tasty, and today I'm sharing these Chewy M&M Granola Bars. It's a simple, no bake recipe that comes together in under 5 minutes. Plus, they're the perfect after school snack.
Now I love granola bars. Especially the soft & chewy ones that remind you of childhood. And anything with M&Ms is a huge plus in my book.
Growing up there were 4 kids in my family. So since granola bars come in a pack of 5 or 6 - there would always be an argument over who got two. Needless to say, it was easier for my mom to make a big batch of homemade treats instead of buying the store-bought variety and dealing with us complaining.
Best No Bake Cookies - Bar Recipes
Plus, making these homemade chewy M&M granola bars only takes 5 minutes. Plus a few hours for the bars to set.
To get started, we first melt together some butter, brown sugar, honey and a little corn syrup in a sauce pan. Everything will melt and then begin to bubble. Let the mixture bubble for about 2-4 minutes until it starts thicken. Then remove from the heat.
A little vanilla is stirred in, followed by quick oats and Rice Krispies. It's important to use quick oats instead of old fashioned or steel cut oats. Otherwise the bars won't hold together properly and the texture won't be soft and chewy.
Then we press the mixture into a prepared pan, and the M&Ms are pressed into the top. You'll want to press the mixture down firmly so that everything sticks together. After about 2-3 hours the bars will have hardened, and it's time to enjoy.
These chewy M&M granola bars are the perfect snack, plus they're so easy to make. I also love the fact that they're nut free, and therefore can easily be packed in school lunches without worry.
If you're looking for an easy, back to school recipe - then definitely try these homemade granola bars!
Chewy M&M Granola Bars
- 6 tablespoons butter unsalted or salted
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup honey
- 1 tablespoon corn syrup or 1 extra tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups quick oats not old fashioned or steel cut
- 2 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- ½ cup mini M&M
- Line an 8x8 or 9x9 inch pan with aluminium foil and lightly grease. Or line with parchment paper.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-low heat melt together the butter, brown sugar, honey and corn syrup. Then allow the mixture to come to a low boil for about 2-4 minutes and thicken slightly.
- Remove from the heat. Then stir in the vanilla, followed by the quick oats and cereal.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan and press it down tightly. Then sprinkle the M&Ms over top and press them in.
- Allow to harden for about 2-3 hours. Then cut into bars.
If you love M&Ms, make sure to check out these other favorites: