This irresistible corn chip casserole is loaded with hearty homemade chili, sharp cheddar cheese, and a crunchy corn chip topping. Yum!
There's something so much fun about an old fashioned corn chip casserole.
What is a corn chip casserole, you say? Well, my oh my, have you been missing out on one of the finer things in life. 😉
Ok, maybe not exactly the finer things. We are talking about corn chips after all. But still pretty tasty.
This casserole is exactly what it sounds like - it's a simple one pot chili casserole topped with crunchy corn chips. And it's delicious. And your kids will eat it. Because it's like having a snack for dinner.
This Chili Corn Chip Casserole is:
- Filling and tasty.
- Topped with satisfyingly crunchy corn chips.
- Super easy to make in a single pan.
- A frugal (ahem.. cheap) dinner idea.
- Fun for kids and kids at heart!
Tips & Tricks
Corn Chips. You are looking for this type of corn chip. Remember those from your childhood? They're still just as good
Make your favorite chili. I mixed up a very simple beef and bean chili chili for this corn chip casserole. But you can feel free to use your own favorite chili as a base. Here are my favorite chili recipes for some inspiration!
Toppings. I topped my corn chip casserole with some shredded cheese and black olives. But you can add as many toppings as you like. Sliced jalapeno peppers, fresh cilantro, or a dollop of sour cream (for serving) are all good choices.
More Tasty Ideas
If you love this corn chip casserole, be sure to check out these other delicious recipes:
Chili Corn Chip Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 packet chili seasoning mix
- 6 ounces tomato paste canned
- ¾ cup water or broth
- 4 cups corn chips
- 16 ounces pinto beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup black olives sliced
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese sharp, shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Brown beef over medium-high heat in an oven-safe skillet. Add in the onion, chili seasoning, tomato paste and water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- To use one dish, move ½ of the chili mixture over to the side of pan (or scoop out into a bowl) and add ½ of the corn chips, ½ of the beans and ½ of the olives and cheese on top of the half of the chili mixture left in the pan. Next, top that layer with the remaining ½ of the chili mixture. Add the remaining beans and olives. Top with remaining 2 cups of corn chips, and then the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, and then bake for an additional 10 minutes.
have never tried the olives in the chili dish before well need to remember that - and yes Mom was the one to clean up the mess when the fridge came open in the little camper going up the rough road to the Mesa Verde Campground - thank heavens we have a better RV now and the latch on the fridge works perfectly - thought about that last month when your dad and I were driving up that mountain road and you can be sure I check that refrigerator before we hit the road each day we are driving!!
Yummy! When I want a bit of a spicy snack I reach for chili frito's. I bet this dish is tasty.
Trisha @ Home Sweet Homemade
Found you on Tumbleweed contessa!
Looks like a crowd please for sure. Thanks for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty link party.
rattlebridge farm --- foodie friday
Hearty and heartwarming, just the thing for a cold autumn night. Thanks for sharing your recipe at Foodie Friday and Everything Else. (Your recipe will be featured at the 11/6/15 party.)
Lovely dish!! such a perfect autumn movie night dish...FEATURED on #SaucySaturdays!! We loved having you last week, do join us today and let your friends know you have been featured by showing off the FEATURED Badge on your website. thnx 🙂
April J Harris
I have a terrible weakness for corn chips - this casserole looks so good! Thank you for bringing it to the Hearth and Soul Hop. Glad you had a chance for a nice break with your family - getting away from it all really can do us so much good!
Your Chili Corn Chip Casserole looks like a recipe that we would love! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a great day.
Come Back Soon!