These Christmas Tree Cinnamon Rolls make for the perfect holiday treat! Not only are they picture perfect, but they’re super simple to make too!
Table of contents
All you need are some premade cinnamon rolls from the store, icing, and sprinkles! Just bake the cinnamon rolls—shaped into a Christmas tree—and then decorate! It’s that simple!
Buy premade icing or make your own cream cheese icing for these delicious cinnamon rolls. Either way, these will make for the perfect Christmas breakfast!
This Christmas tree cinnamon rolls recipe is...
- ready in 20 minutes
- a quick holiday breakfast
Get the latest scoop on all the recipes I'm whipping up in the kitchen by following along with All She Cooks on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Also, don't forget to join my Facebook Group where you can share your favorite blogger recipes: Easy & Delicious Recipes.
How to Make Christmas Tree Cinnamon Rolls
- Open the premade cinnamon rolls.
- Unroll the cinnamon rolls and ribbon them into the shape of a tree.
- Place them on top of a baking sheet.
- Bake them according to the instructions on the package.
- While the Christmas tree cinnamon rolls bake, prepare the cream cheese icing.
- Cream the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract.
- Gradually mix the powdered sugar until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add two drops of green food coloring and mix until the icing is thoroughly combined and the same color throughout.
- When the cinnamon rolls are done baking, place them on a serving tray.
- Spread green cream cheese icing over the warm cinnamon rolls and sprinkle them with Christmas sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!
Scroll down for the full recipe with measurements and detailed instructions.
Tips & Tricks
Let the Rolls Cool Before Icing
When the cinnamon rolls come out of the oven, if you can wait for a bit, let them cool slightly before putting the icing on. Putting cream cheese frosting on the cinnamon rolls right after they’ve left the oven will melt the icing.
Though it will taste just the same, your Christmas trees won’t come out looking as nice. So, let the cinnamon rolls cool for a bit before adding the icing.
Liquid vs. Gel Food Coloring
You can either use liquid food coloring or gel-based food coloring for the icing.
If you want a darker color, then use the gel-based food coloring because adding too much liquid food coloring will change the consistency of the frosting.
Keep them Rolled
If you want to make one giant cinnamon roll tree rather than small individual trees, then keep the cinnamon rolls rolled. Just arrange them into the shape of a tree with one roll at the bottom as a tree trunk.
Then, make sure that you keep enough white icing for two rolls. Put this white icing on the tree trunk cinnamon roll and the one at the top of the tree. Cover the “tree trunk roll” with chocolate sprinkles and the roll at the top of the tree in yellow sprinkles (like a star).
Cover the rest of the tree in green icing and some red candies, like Red Hots, or red sprinkles. If you don’t have green food coloring, you can cover all the rolls with white frosting and cover the rest of the tree in green sprinkles.
Pipe on the Icing
You can use a knife or spatula to cover the Christmas tree cinnamon rolls in green cream cheese frosting. But if you want a cleaner look, you can put the icing into a piping bag and pipe it on with various piping tips.
Make Them from Scratch
Though cinnamon roll dough can take longer to make, you can definitely make it for this recipe! Homemade rolls take about 1 to 2 hours to rise, so that increases the wait time.
When you make your cinnamon rolls from scratch, you can make flavor variations too. You can make them pumpkin or lemon. You can also add extra filling, like adding a layer of Nutella.
Have you tried this recipe? Don't forget to Rate This Recipe below. While you're at it, share a picture on Instagram with #allshecooks so we can see how your recipe turned out!
Christmas Tree Cinnamon Rolls
- 1 tube premade cinnamon rolls
- ½ cup cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup butter or margarine softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- green food coloring
- Christmas sprinkles
- Open Cinnamon rolls, unroll and ribbon into a tree shape. Bake according to package.
- While those bake, prepare cream cheese icing. Cream together, cream cheese, butter and vanilla extract. Gradually mix in powdered sugar until spreading consistency.
- Add two drops of green food coloring and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Once cinnamon rolls are done baking, remove to serving tray. Spread green cream cheese icing over warm cinnamon rolls and sprinkle with Christmas sprinkles.
- Serve and enjoy!