Tropical Poke Cake is a delectable dessert that is quick, easy, and fun to make! The combination of light, airy white cake and the bold tropical flavors of exotic fruits makes this a true crowd-pleasing sweet treat that is perfect for your next barbecue, picnic, or party.
For those not familiar with it, poke cake is a classic retro dessert. The Jell-O Company invented it in 1969, as a way to increase their product sales. And you can make the original Jell-O version by baking a white sheet cake, and when cooled, poking holes with a fork all over the top of the cake. Next, pour strawberry Jell-O mix all over the top of the cake, allowing it to fill the holes. Then put the cake in the fridge until the Jell-O is fully set. Then, frost the chilled cake with whipped topping and serve.
Bakers are now are moving beyond the traditional gelatin mixture and starting to fill their poke cakes with everything from flavored syrups and chocolate, to salted caramel, boozy cocktail mixes, and even tropical exotic fruits.
What Are Tropical Exotic Fruits?
The growing conditions in the tropics are quite unique, and as a result, the tropics are home to varieties of trees, vines, and other plants not found anywhere else in the world. Since the tropics are warm and humid year-round, the region produces exotic fruits that are large, brightly-colored, and extremely flavorful.
Mangoes, papayas, bananas, pineapples, guavas, and passion fruit are some of the most well-known tropical exotic fruits. In fact, the banana is one of the highest-selling fruits around the world, thanks to the ease with which is grown, harvested, and transported.
More Delicious Recipes Like Tropical Poke Cake
If you like this Tropical Poke Cake recipe, try these recipes for some other fun and delicious ways to enjoy the classic poke cake:
How To Make Tropical Poke Cake Step By Step
Step #1: Bake the cake according to package instructions. Allow to partially cool on a wire rack.
Step #2: Using a fork, poke holes all over the top of the cake.
Step #3: Mix together mango gelatin with boiling water until dissolved, then pour over the holes in the top of the cake.
Step #4: Cream together cream cheese with powdered sugar and mix in the orange extract. Next, spread this layer over the cake.
Step #5: Mix together banana pudding mix with milk. Add the whipped topping and mix to combine, then spread this over the top of the cheesecake layer.
Step #6: Refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving, then slice and top with your choice of tropical exotic fruits. Enjoy!
Tropical Poke Cake
Tropical Poke Cake is a a delectable dessert that is quick, easy, and fun to make!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 26 minutes
- Total Time: 41 minutes
- Yield: serves 12-15
- 1 white cake mix, prepared as directed on package instructions
- 1 (3 ounce) package mango gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons orange extract
- 1 (3.4 ounce) package banana pudding mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1(8 ounce) tub whipped topping, thawed
- Your choice tropical fruit to garnish
- Bake cake according to package instructions. Allow to partially cool on a wire rack.
- Poke holes with a fork.
- Mix together mango gelatin with boiling water until dissolved. Pour over the holes in the cake.
- Cream together cream cheese with powdered sugar. Mix in the orange extract. Spread orange cheese cake layer over the cake.
- Mix together banana pudding mix with milk. Add the whipped topping and mix to combine. Spread this over the top of the cheesecake layer.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour prior to serving. Top with you choice of tropical fruit to garnish.
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Instant Pot Pound Cake Recipe - 2018/08/01
- Instant Pot Taco Meat Recipe — Spice Up Taco Tuesday! - 2018/08/01
- Instant Pot Lemon Garlic Salmon - 2018/08/01