Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you. All opinions remain my own.
Apple crumble pie is a easy and delicious pie you will want to make over and over again. This apple crumble pie recipe is incredibly easy, and topped with a flavorful crumble so every bite is incredible.
6 ingredients is all you need for this apple crumble pie recipe. I wanted to create a pie that is easy, delicious, and great for those who don’t even consider themselves a baker.
APPLE CRUMBLE PIE
If you are looking for a pie to make for the holidays, family gathering, or even a weeknight dessert, give this pie recipe a try.
Helpful Baking Tools
- Stand Mixer or Hand-held Mixer– This makes it SO much faster to whip the topping. Like I said above, it can be done without a mixer, but make sure you have a strong arm and patience. I have a KitchenAid Pro Mixer that I’ve had for 12+ years and love it!
- Round Cake Storage and Carrier– Having a pan with lid and carrier makes it easier for storage. No more having to deal with plastic wrap that gets messy and twisted up.
- 8-inch Parchment Rounds– No more dealing with cake sticking to the bottom of the pan!
- Cake Leveler– This tool is a must if you want to make layered cakes. It allows you to evenly remove the rounded part of the cake top and make perfectly level layers.
- Cake Server– A good cake server makes a world of difference. It makes it so much easier to lift the dessert lasagna out of the pan in nice and even slices.
- Cake Decorating Set– Making a pretty cake is reasonably easy when you use the tools in this decorating set. With a little practice, you will be decorating cakes like a pro in no time.
WHAT ARE THE BEST APPLES FOR PIE
Granny Smith apples are a favorite of mine when you go to bake a pie. You want to reach for an apple that is crisp, and will hold up during the baking process. I will make a list of apples below to consider.
- Granny Smith
- Golden Delicious
You are not limited to these apples, but they are some of the more popular apples for baking. You can also mix and match varieties to add the dimension of flavor to your pie.
HOW MANY APPLES ARE NEEDED FOR A PIE
For my crumble apple pie, you will want 5 cups of apples. In that, you will aim to buy 6-7 medium-size apples to get around the 5 cups of apple mark.
IF YOU LOVE APPLE CRUMBLE PIE, CHECK OUT MY OTHER PIE RECIPES
- Pecan Pie with Meringue | A traditional pecan pie that is topped with a light and airy meringue. Give this pie recipe a try this holiday season.
- Chocolate Cream Pie | I love a good chocolate cream pie, and this recipe is velvety smooth. Add a dollop of whipped cream and dive in.
- Apple Rhubarb Pie | If you are looking for another pie that features apples, give this one a try. I am a huge fan of the pairing of apple and rhubarb!
HOW TO MAKE APPLE CRUMBLE PIE
To start, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Then, you want to start by making pie crust or using store-bought pie crust and placing it into a pie dish. If making a pie crust from scratch, be sure to use a pastry cutter to cut the butter and dry ingredients in together to make the crust.
I use room temperature butter for all baking with the exception of crusts and biscuits. For crust, having cold butter is best so it can be cut in with the all-purpose flour.
Then you want to set it aside, and peel, core, and prep your apples.
Lay your apples into the pie crust evenly in the pie plate, and then evenly spread the cinnamon and sugar over the apples. You could also toss the apples with cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl so you can stir them together easily.
The apple pie crumb topping recipe is so easy to make. Mix the crumble topping in a small bowl and then sprinkle it over the apples.
Bake the pie for 35-40 minutes. Bake a couple minutes longer if needed or until the apples are tender and the crumble topping is golden brown color. Then remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.
DO YOU PEEL APPLES FOR BAKING PIES
Yes, if you do not peel apples you will find your pie will offer a really chewy texture. This isn’t that pleasing so I recommend peeling and coring apples.
You could also use canned pie apple filling in place of the apples, and then add the crumble topping over the pie filling. This pie would be super easy to throw together if you used pie filing.
HOW TO PREVENT PIE CRUST FROM OVER BAKING IN THE OVEN
You can buy a cover that sits on the edge of the pie crust or opt for aluminum foil. Tear off thin layers of aluminum foil and press it around the pie crust edge. Then bake the pie with the aluminum foil on or pie crust cover, and then remove the last 5-10 minutes of baking.
This will give you that golden-brown crust without overcooking it each and every time. I have done this for years and it works great.
More of Our Favorite Recipes
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Irish Potato Candy Recipe
- Peek-A-Boo Cake for St. Patrick’s Day
- Old Fashioned Fresh Apple Cake Recipe
- How to Make an Ombre Cake
DOES APPLE CRUMBLE PIE NEED TO COOL BEFORE SERVING
Yes, I recommend allowing your apple crumble pie to cool down before you slice into it. I know it could be hard to resist, but you will want to let it sit so it can thicken up. If you slice early the filling won’t be near as thick as you would like.
WAYS TO SERVE UP APPLE CRUMBLE PIE
- Ice Cream | Add a dollop of ice cream to the side or on top of your pie. I prefer vanilla but feel free to try other flavors.
- Whipped Cream | Reach for whipped cream to add a dollop on top of the pie or add to the side.
- Caramel Sauce | Make homemade caramel or store-bought, and drizzle over the top of the pie.
This apple crumb pie is incredibly easy to make, and delicious down to the last crumbs. Give this apple pie recipe a try today, and let me know how you enjoy it.
Get the latest scoop on all the recipes I’m whipping up in the kitchen by following along with All She Cooks on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Also, don’t forget to join my Facebook Group where you can share your favorite blogger recipes: Easy & Delicious Recipes.
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below. While you’re at it, share a picture on Instagram with #allshecooks so we can see how your recipe turned out!
- 1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust, or your favorite pie crust recipe, uncooked
- 5 cups sliced apples
- 1/2 + 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9-inch pie pan with non-stick cooking spray, and place unbaked pie crust in the pan.
- Arrange apple slices in an unbaked pie crust.
- Mix ½ cup sugar with ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon, and pour over the apples.
- Next, mix 1/3 cup sugar with flour and then cut the butter into the flour/sugar until crumbly.
- Spoon crumbles over the pie, and bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until apples are soft and the top is lightly browned.
For a shortcut, you can use apple pie filling with this recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 369 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 23mg Sodium: 182mg Carbohydrates: 45g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 13g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g
More Of Our Pie Recipes You’ll Love:
- 5 Layer Pie
- Apple Crumble Pie
- Apple Pie with Almonds
- Apple Rhubarb Pie
- Banana Cream Pie
- Brown Sugar Pie
- Boozy Orange Creamsicle Pie
- Boozy Strawberry Daiquiri Pie
- Caramel Apple Crumble Pie
- Cherry Almond Mousse Pie
- Chocolate Cream Pie
- Chocolate Meringue Pie
- Derby Pie
- Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Mama’s Apple Pie
- Mini Chocolate Cherry Pies
- Oatmeal Pie
- Peach Pie
- Pecan Pie with Meringue
- Piña Colada Pie
- Pumpkin Meringue Pie
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Tropical Cream Pie
- Weight Watchers Pumpkin Pie