This post written by Cara, from The Helpmates.
I love fall. Let me be a little more clear, I love fall food! Pumpkin flavored latte and everything else pumpkin, hot apple crisps, and a nice hearty chili… which is what I’ll be sharing with you today. A flavorful, creamy white chicken chili to be more specific.
I have to say, I’m taking it kind of easy on y’all for my first round over here. But if you find a recipe that’s both easy and tasty, then you’ve found a great thing. I believe this is one of those things.
This recipe, like most soups, is a very forgiving recipe. So don’t stress out if you need to add or take away a few things. Here we go…
Heat oil in a large chili pot over med-low heat. Sauté the onions & garlic.
Add all the other ingredients to the pot except for the sour cream and heavy whipping cream. That’s a lot of green chilies! This chili has a little kick, but it’s not overwhelming by any stretch. I’m a weakling when it comes to spicy food and I can handle it. I’m sure you’ll be just fine!
Stir well and then simmer for 30 minutes OR put make it a White Chicken Chili crock pot meal! Just toss the sauteed onions and garlic along with the other non-dairy ingredients into your slow cooker and let it cook slowly all day long.
Stir in sour cream and heavy whipping cream. Garnish and serve. I know I said the garnishes are optional, but really…you should do it. At least the extra dollop of sour cream! My hubby will totally judge you if you don’t!
This recipe is a good one to add to your freezer friendly collection. When preparing specifically for the freezer, I don’t even sauté my onions first. I just combine all ingredients (except for the sour cream and heavy whipping cream) into one gallon sized freezer bag. Then mix the sour cream and heavy whipping cream together into another freezer bag. Suck all the air out that you can, lay the bags flat and freeze. Defrost in fridge, then follow the instructions above when you’re ready to enjoy!
Creamy White Chicken Chili
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons garlic paste
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, chopped
- 4 cans green chilies, chopped
- 4 cans great northern white beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Sour cream (optional for garnishing)
- Shredded pepper jack cheese (optional for garnishing)
- Fresh cilantro (optional for garnishing)
- Heat oil in a large chili pot over med-low heat. Sauté the onions & garlic.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pot except for the sour cream and heavy whipping cream. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in sour cream and heavy whipping cream.
- Garnish and serve.
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Pumpkin Dump Cake Recipe - 2017/08/22
- Chopped Chicken Chipotle Salad – a Healthy Dinner Recipe - 2017/08/15
- Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe - 2017/08/12