Do you know why this cake is called a Hummingbird Cake?
No, it’s not made from, nor ,for hummingbirds. Nor does it resemble a hummingbird.
A little birdie (maybe it was a hummingbird) told me that every bite makes you “hum” with delight. And that is exactly the sound my family made as they were gobbling it up!
It’s filled with pineapple, bananas, cinnamon and pecans and covered with cream cheese frosting. Hummm mmmmm!!
Cake filled with pineapples, bananas and pecans
- Yield: 12
- Category: Dessert
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 8oz can of crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup of chopped pecans
- 2 bananas chopped
- 2 (8 oz) packages of cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 (16 oz) packages of powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup of pecans (for topping)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees and grease and flour three 9 inch cake pans.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and then add the eggs and oil, mix until well combined. (do not beat)
- Stir in the vanilla, pineapple, 1 cup of the chopped pecans and the bananas.
- Spoon the batter into your prepared cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Cool pans on wire rack for 10 minutes then remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack.
- For the Cream Cheese Frosting: Beat cream cheeses and butter until creamy smooth.Gradually add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy, stir in vanilla.
- Spread cream cheese frosting between the layers and on top and sides of the cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of chopped pecans.
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Jessica McCoy (see all)
- Herbed Cheese and Mushroom Bruschetta - 2017/06/23
- Best Mustard Pork Loin and Tasty Thyme-Roasted Carrots - 2017/06/23
- Colorful Rosemary Roasted Potatoes Recipe - 2017/06/21