Nothing says “summer” quite like a sweet and juicy slice of watermelon! It is a favorite summertime snack, and July is even known as National Watermelon Month. And because it is so popular, there are now countless watermelon-flavored foods on market, and watermelon ranks 6th in the list of the top hard candy flavors. This Jolly Rancher Watermelon Poke Cake is just bursting with the sweet taste of watermelon. This recipe is quick and easy to make, so it’s a perfect addition to any summertime celebration. The light and airy cake is infused with watermelon gelatin, then combined with a fluffy layer of watermelon-flavored cream cheese topping. Jolly Rancher Watermelon Poke Cake is a truly great way to enjoy a little taste of summer, anytime!
The Jolly Rancher brand has been making their classic hard-candy treat since the 1950s. And watermelon, one of the four original Jolly Rancher candy flavors, still remains an all-time favorite. Recently, Jolly Rancher has gone on to expand their line of watermelon-flavored products to include soft candy chews, licorice, and even gelatin mixes.
What is Poke Cake?
Poke Cake was invented in 1969 by General Foods Corporation, as a way to increase sales of their flagship product, Jell-O. The original version is made by baking a white sheet cake, poking holes with a fork all over the top of the cake, and then pouring strawberry Jell-O all over the top of the cake, allowing it to fill the ‘poked’ holes.
Bakers are even moving beyond gelatin and filling their poke cakes with everything from flavored syrups, chocolate, and salted caramel, to boozy cocktail mixers. Another popular filling choice is to use fruit in a variety of forms, such as purées, jams and compotes. This Jolly Rancher Watermelon Poke Cake recipe swaps in watermelon for strawberry gelatin, and takes the
More Poke Cake Recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy deliciously light and airy poke cake? Our version of the original Strawberry Poke Cake recipe goes a step further by adding a hidden layer of delectable cheesecake pudding topped with sliced, fresh strawberries. If you’re feeling adventurous, you’ve got to check out our adults-only recipe for Boozy Pineapple Piña Colada Poke Cake! And, if you’re in the mood for a more decadent dessert, this rich and delicious Chocolate Toffee Poke Cake is sure to satisfy. Another perfect summertime dessert, Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake, is a fun take on the classic frozen treat.
How To Make Jolly Rancher Watermelon Poke Cake Step By Step
Step #1: Bake cake in 13×9 pan according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
Step #2: Using a fork, poke holes in the top of the cake.
Step #3: Pour gelatin powder into a medium bowl and scoop out two tablespoons to mix together with the cream cheese. With the remaining gelatin, mix together until dissolved with ¾ cup boiling water.
Step #4: Carefully spoon the gelatin over the cake, making sure to pour over the holes.
Step #5: Next, mix together cream cheese with 2 tablespoons gelatin until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and milk.
Step #6: Top with whipped topping and chill for 4 hours before serving.
Slice, garnish with a watermelon wedge, and enjoy!
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix, prepared to package instructions
- 1 (2.79-ounce) package Jolly Rancher Watermelon gelatin, divided (reserve 2 tablespoons powder for cheesecake mixture)
- ¾ cup water
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 8-ounce whipped cream, thawed
- Bake cake in 13x9 pan according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
- Using a fork, poke holes in the top of the cake.
- Pour gelatin powder into a medium bowl and scoop out two tablespoons to mix together with the cream cheese. With the remaining gelatin, mix together until dissolved with ¾ cup boiling water.
- Carefully spoon the gelatin over the cake, making sure to pour over the holes.
- Next, mix together cream cheese with 2 tablespoons gelatin until smooth. Add in the powdered sugar and milk.
- Top with whipped topping. Chill for 4 hours before serving.