Are you looking for a quick and easy meal that is both delicious and healthy? Look no further than this shrimp and broccoli stir fry! This simple dish is not only packed with flavor, but it's also a great way to get your daily dose of veggies and protein.
I have always been a big fan of stir fry dinners - it’s just such a quick and easy thing to throw together after a busy day. Simple to toss in whatever veggies are in the fridge and easy to mix up the flavor with a variety of sauces.
This shrimp and broccoli stir fry is:
- A quick and easy dinner idea.
- Packed with flavor.
- Family friendly.
- Ready in 20 minutes!
This has quickly become one of my family’s favorite shrimp recipes. Let’s get cooking!
Making Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
To start, you'll need some fresh shrimp and broccoli. Make sure to get large, deveined and peeled shrimp, and fresh broccoli that's bright green and firm. Cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets.
Next, you'll need to prepare the stir fry sauce. I flavor my homemade sauce with honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, ginger and garlic. (Scroll down for the full ingredient list.) This is where you can get creative and add your own personal touch. You can also add some red pepper flakes for a spicy kick.
Then you’ll simply heat some oil in a large skillet, add the shrimp and cook for about 2-3 minutes on each side until they turn pink and opaque. Then remove the shrimp from the pan and cook the broccoli, adding a bit of water to keep it from sticking.
Add the shrimp back to the pan with broccoli, pour in the stir fry sauce, and cook everything together for a few minutes longer. And that's it! Your shrimp and broccoli stir fry is ready to serve.
Tips & Variations
Add more veggies.
You can use any vegetables you like in this stir fry. In addition to broccoli, snap peas, bell peppers, and julienned carrots are all great choices.
You can serve this stir fry over steamed rice, or mix it up and serve over quinoa or couscous for a little variety. I also like to top mine with some sesame seeds and green onions for extra crunch and fresh flavor.
Substitute the soy sauce.
If you need a soy free or gluten free option, you can substitute the soy sauce with coconut aminos or tamari, which are both lower in sodium.
Swap out the shrimp.
If you're not a fan of shrimp, you can make this stir fry recipe with chicken or beef instead. (Or check out this beef stir fry!)
Make it vegetarian.
For a vegetarian version, replace the shrimp with tofu or extra veggies.
Experiment with sauces!
You can use this stir fry recipe as a base and experiment with your own favorite sauces. Teriyaki sauce, hoisin sauce, or peanut sauce would all be delicious options.
More Tasty Ideas
If you love this shrimp and broccoli stir fry, be sure to check out these other delicious recipes:
Shrimp and Broccoli Stir Fry
- ¼ cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 lb medium shrimp peeled and deveined
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 12 oz. bag broccoli florets about 3-4 cups broccoli florets
- 4 green onions chopped
- Rice cooked according to package directions
- sesame seeds
- green onions sliced
- In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, cornstarch, sesame oil, ginger, and garlic and set aside
- In a large skillet over medium high, heat oil and add shrimp, then season with salt and pepper
- Cook shrimp 2-3 minutes per side, or until pink and opaque, remove from pan and set aside
- In the same pan, add the broccoli and a bit of water if the pan if dry, then cover and cook for at 3-5 minutes, or until the broccoli is a brighter green and is starting to turn tender
- Add the sauce and then bring to a simmer until thickened
- Add the shrimp back into the pan along with the green onions
- Cook until everything is heated through
- Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds and additional green onions if desired