While Georgia may be the official Peach State, all across the United States, summertime is synonymous with “peach-picking.” May is the beginning of peach season, which continues until late September, but it reaches its ripe, juicy peak during July and August, and that means that no summer barbecue or picnic is complete without some sort of sweet peach treat. While traditional peach pie and peach cobbler is always a hit, this light and airy Summer Peach Pie Poke Cake is a true crowd-pleaser. Plus it’s so simple and easy to make, you’ll want to bring it to all your summer celebrations!
What is Poke Cake?
Poke Cake was invented in 1969 by General Foods Corporation, as a way to increase sales of their flagship product, Jell-O. The original version is made by baking a white sheet cake, poking holes with a fork all over the top of the cake, and then pouring strawberry Jell-O all over the top of the cake, allowing it to fill the ‘poked’ holes.
Bakers are now moving beyond gelatin and filling their poke cakes with everything from flavored syrups, chocolate, and salted caramel, to boozy cocktail mixers. Another popular filling choice is to use fruit in a variety of forms, such as purées, jams and compotes. In this Summer Peach Pie Poke Cake recipe, delectable peach pie filling infuses the light and airy white cake with classic peach pie flavor.
More Poke Cake Recipes
Looking for more ways to enjoy poke cake? Then take the original Strawberry Poke Cake recipe a step further by adding a hidden layer of delectable cheesecake pudding topped with sliced, fresh strawberries. Or if you’re feeling adventurous, you’ve got to check out our recipe for Boozy Pineapple Piña Colada Poke Cake! And, if you’re in the mood for a more decadent dessert, this rich and delicious Chocolate Toffee Poke Cake is sure to satisfy. Another perfect summertime dessert, Orange Creamsicle Poke Cake, is a fun take on the classic frozen treat.
How To Make Summer Peach Pie Poke Cake Step By Step
Step #1: Bake cake in 13×9 pan according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
Step #2: Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the top of the cake.
Step #3: Mix together peach pie filling with 1/3 cup heavy cream in blender, and then pour the pie filling over the cake, making sure to pour over the holes.
Step #4: Spread whipped topping over the top of the peach filling, spreading evenly over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Step #5: Chill for 4 hours before serving.
Step #6: Top with fresh or canned peach slices. Enjoy!
Summer Peach Pie Poke Cake
- 1 18.25 ounce package white cake mix, prepared to package instructions
- 1 21 ounce can peach pie filling
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces whipped topping thawed
- Sprinkle nutmeg and sliced peaches for topping
- Bake cake in 13x9 pan according to package instructions. Allow to cool.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke holes in the top of the cake.
- Mix together peach pie filling with 1/3 cup heavy cream in blender, and then pour the pie filling over the cake, making sure to pour over the holes.
- Spread whipped topping over the top of the peach filling, spreading evenly over the top of the cake. Sprinkle with nutmeg.
- Chill for 4 hours before serving.
- Top with fresh or canned peaches before serving, if desired.