There’s nothing tastier than a homemade pie with homemade pie crust. This delicious recipe is perfect as a dessert or holiday pie for any family gathering you’ll attend this year.
I’m going to show you how easy it is to make your own pie filling and homemade pie crust with just a few ingredients. It only takes 45 minutes from start to finish before you can enjoy that first flavorful bite of homemade apple pie.
Are Gala apples good for apple pie?
Many bakers opt to use Macintosh apples for their homemade apple pie. If you’re looking to make a tart pie then you may use a Cortland apple or granny smith apple.
Gala apples are good for pie if you want to use an apple that has a mildly sweet flavor. Macintosh apples are one of the sweetest options to use for your homemade pie.
Do you Prebake crust for apple pie?
You don’t need to prebake crust. This homemade pie crust will need 30 minutes to allow the dough to rise. If you’re making custard then yes, you would prebake crust.
All you need to do with this homemade pie crust is mix the ingredients, form the dough into balls, let sit in the fridge for 30 minutes, and then shape the crust to place into your apple pie pan.
How to Make Pie Crust
Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
Prepare pie crust. Add flour, salt and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand held mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Chill for 30 minutes.
Divide the dough into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-11 inch diameter for a 9 inch pie, and then line a pie dish with one of the crusts.
Add filling to the pie crust. Then, top with the second pie crust.
How to Make Apple Pie Filling
Peel and slice apples and add to a large bowl. Mix with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
Add filling to the pie crust.
Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for 35-40 minutes.
More of Our Greatest Pie Recipes
- Double Layer Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Dutch Apple Pie
- Key Lime Pie
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- Mama’s Apple Pie
- Mini Chocolate Cherry Pies
- Oatmeal Pie
- Peach Pie
- Pecan Pie with Meringue
- Piña Colada Pie
- Pumpkin Meringue Pie
- Sweet Potato Pie
- Tropical Cream Pie
- Weight Watchers Pumpkin Pie
What do you Brush pie crust with before baking?
If you want to add a golden appearance to the top of your homemade pie crust then you can brush the top of your pie crust with an egg yolk, using a pastry brush. I always use an egg yolk separator to ensure I get just the yolk.
The exact mixture to brush pie crust before baking is 1 egg yolk whisked with 1 teaspoon of water.
Additional options to brush pie crust before baking include a little sugar for a beautiful shine and semi-sweet tasting top crust. Some people have brushed the top of their homemade pie crust with half and half cream or whipping cream to get a shiny appearance.
Homemade apple pie is one of those nostalgic pies. You’re brought back to childhood when your elder was baking in the kitchen during the holidays with every bite. This flavorful apple pie mixture is made just like Grandma used to make.
The combination of sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg explodes in your mouth with a take-you-back-in-time taste. This combination of spices in your apple pie filling ensure the best flavor combination with every bite of your apple pie and homemade pie crust recipe.
How do you keep apple pie from getting watery?
If you’ve found that your apple pie with homemade pie crust is too watery, you can test a few options. Some have found that precooking the apple pie filling helps reduce the chances of having an pie get watery.
Venting the top of our homemade pie crust will allow some of the fluid to escape during bake time, which would help your pie keep from getting watery.
If you opt to allow your pie filling juices to drain for an hour, then you could make an apple syrup with the excess juices.
Now that I’ve shared some details about baking your own pie, it’s time to gather the ingredients and make your homemade pie today.
Pie and Cake Supplies
- Stand Mixer or Hand-held Mixer– This makes it SO much faster to whip the topping. Like I said above, it can be done without a mixer, but make sure you have a strong arm and patience. I have a KitchenAid Pro Mixer that I’ve had for 12+ years and love it!
- Round Cake Storage and Carrier– Having a pan with lid and carrier makes it easier for storage. No more having to deal with plastic wrap that gets messy and twisted up.
- 8-inch Parchment Rounds– No more dealing with cake sticking to the bottom of the pan!
- Cake Leveler– This tool is a must if you want to make layered cakes. It allows you to evenly remove the rounded part of the cake top and make perfectly level layers.
- Cake Server– A good cake server makes a world of difference. It makes it so much easier to lift the dessert lasagna out of the pan in nice and even slices.
- Cake Decorating Set– Making a pretty cake is reasonably easy when you use the tools in this decorating set. With a little practice, you will be decorating cakes like a pro in no time.
Get the latest scoop on all the recipes I’m whipping up in the kitchen by following along with All She Cooks on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Also, don’t forget to join my Facebook Group where you can share your favorite blogger recipes: Easy & Delicious Recipes.
Have you tried this recipe? Don’t forget to Rate This Recipe below. While you’re at it, share a picture on Instagram with #allshecooks so we can see how your recipe turned out!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups vegetable shortening
- 7-12 tablespoons ice-cold water
- 6 cups peeled and sliced apples
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prepare pie crust. Add flour, salt and vegetable shortening to a large bowl and mix with a hand held mixer. Gradually add ice-cold water until the dough binds together and can form a ball. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Peel and slice apples and add to a large bowl. Mix with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Divide the dough into 2 even sections. Roll out each piece of dough into a 10-11 inch diameter for a 9 inch pie.
- Add filling to the pie crust.
- Place top crust over the pie and crimp the edges together. Cover edges with foil or a pie crust protector.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Reduce temperature to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and continue baking for 35-40 minutes.
To make a deep dish pie, double the filling ingredients and roll out the bottom crust to a 12-13 inch diameter.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583Total Fat: 34gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 22mgSodium: 268mgCarbohydrates: 65gFiber: 4gSugar: 26gProtein: 5g