This easy and delicious Brown Sugar Pie it filled with rich brown sugar flavor in every creamy bite. It's a classic sugar pie that will melt in your mouth, and takes just a few minutes of work!
This classic holiday pie goes by many names - Sugar Pie, Amish Brown Sugar Pie, Southern Brown Sugar Pie, and probably a few more. But no matter what you call it, it's absolutely delicious.
It is shocking to me that depending on where you live you may have never had a sugar pie. And it's definitely time to remedy that.
This easy brown sugar pie recipe is the pie recipe that I have grown up eating, and still make for my family today. So I can guarantee it's a hit!
How To Make Brown Sugar Pie
This is a very simple and easy holiday pie that takes just minutes to prepare and toss into the oven. If you are not a huge baker, consider trying this recipe as it practically bakes itself!
Start out by prepping your crust in a pie plate.
Then add in your flour, brown sugar, and salt and mix together in the crust. Yes, mix it right inside the crust!
You will then pour the evaporated milk over the crust and resist the urge to stir. Seriously, don't stir it.
Scatter the pieces of butter over the top of the pie, followed by a sprinkle of cinnamon.
Bake until the pie is done, and allow it to cool. Then once your pie has cooled down, make your homemade whipped cream and top your pie. Easy peasy!
(Scroll down to the recipe card for all the detailed instructions and measurements.)
Tips, Tricks, & FAQs
How To Serve Brown Sugar Pie
I love topping my pie with a homemade whipped cream topping (recipe below!). It really dresses up your dessert and tastes amazing too. A sprinkle of cinnamon is a great way to add some color!
Homemade Pie Crust vs Store Bought
There are some people who swear by homemade pie crust. If you consider that you, make your own. But a store bought pie crust will work just fine for this simple recipe!
Can I Use Condensed Milk In Place of Evaporated Milk?
No. Evaporated milk and condensed milk are two different things. Unfortunately, you can't swap the two ingredients. Evaporated milk is very light, while condensed milk is thicker and a lot sweeter. You are looking for this product!
How To Store Brown Sugar Pie
Store the sugar pie for 3-4 days in the refrigerator. You can buy a sealed pie case (like this one - perfect for taking it along to parties!) or cover with aluminum foil.
Can You Freeze Sugar Pie?
Yes. You can freeze a sugar pie for up to two months. Allow the pie to cool to room temperature, and then cover tightly before placing it in the freezer.
More Pie Recipes
- Peach Pie | If you are looking for an easy and fantastic flavored peach pie, this recipe is it. I always make this recipe when I have fresh peaches on hand.
- Pina Colada Pie | Take a walk down the tropical pathway with this sweet and incredible pie. Coconut and pineapple collide.
- Derby Pie | Derby Pie is a Millionaire Pie that is going to knock your socks off in flavor. You have to try this recipe if you are looking for a standout pie recipe.
- Apple Pie with Almonds | You have tender apples, crunchy almonds and buttery pie crust in every single bite.
- Chocolate Pie with Meringue | Here you have a creamy chocolate pie topped with light an airy meringue. A super simple and delightful pie.
Brown Sugar Pie
- 9" pie dish or use a preformed shell
- 1 9-inch pie shell unbaked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line pie pan with 9-inch pie crust. Add the flour, brown sugar and dash of salt and mix together, right inside the pie crust.
- Pour evaporated milk over the brown sugar mixture. Do not stir. Cut the butter into several pieces and scatter it evenly over the pie. Sprinkle cinnamon over the pie.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes until filling bubbles up in the middle. The filling will not completely set. Let the pie cool.
- Whip the heavy cream in a medium-sized mixing bowl, until thick. Add in powdered sugar and mix on low speed to incorporate.
- Spread the whipped topping over the sugar pie, or use a piping bag to add whipped cream to the pie in a decorative fashion. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon, if desired.