Coney Island Beef Chili Dogs - Otherwise Known as A&W Chili Dogs
One of those types of meals that has comfort written all over it.
Loaded. Beefy. Classic carnival food kind of good. Beef Chili Dogs, a food truck concession that brings droves of customers to stand in line, pay up a few bucks and walk away feeling satisfied.
Kind of like Walking Tacos or a Freshly Squeezed Lemonade... unbeatable flavor!
Hot Dog Sauce is Where It's At
A&W's Coney Sauce is famous for a good reason - it's irresistible!
You'll want to make a big batch of this coney dog sauce, because its so much better than to hold back and keep it for the hot dogs alone
Pour it over fries, a chili baked potato, or chow down on the chili all on its own. This is a meal in itself.
However - it's also perfect to make a Chili Dog with so we totally get that you might reserve this hot dog sauce specifically for Chili Dog day. We get it.
Easy Chili is Always a Winner
We love a good chili recipe, and we've made more than our fair share over the years. If you're looking for a new chili recipe, here are a few we absolutely love:
- Weight Watchers Chili
- Creamy White Chicken Chili
- Copycat Texas Roadhouse Chili
- Best Chili Mac Worldwide
- Game Day Chili
No matter what type of chili you're after, you'll love all of these tasty recipes. So good!
So if you've been craving a hot dog and chili, combine the two for the perfect chili dog loaded with sauce, cheese and onions.
Really, you can mix things up and put whatever your own favorite toppings are on top of that delicious hot dog.
We like to load ours up with cheese and onions, but have a selection of toppings on hand if you're feeding a crowd so everyone can pick their own favorites. Peppers make a great addition, as do crunchy crushed tortilla chips!
Copycat A&W Chili Dogs
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 1 tbsp dried onion
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 frankfurters
- 4 hot dog buns
- ⅓ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ red onion chopped
Making the Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce:
- Brown the ground chuck in a 2 quart saucepan, breaking meat into very small pieces.
- While cooking, lightly season meat with salt and pepper.
- Do not drain the fat.
- Add the tomato paste, water, sugar, yellow mustard, onion, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes, uncovered, until it thickens. Stir occasionally. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- In a 2 quart saucepan, bring water to a rolling boil.
- Removing the saucepan from the heat, add frankfurter to the water. Cover and let sit about 10 minutes.
- Microwave hot dog roll for 10 seconds to warm.
- Serve each hot dog on a bun, topped with the chili sauce.
I love hot dogs! They are one of my favs since childhood, I can't quit put my finger on it though. Yum, this looks good!
Recipe says boil the hot dog yet the hot dog pictured has grill marks. I'll grill mine. 🙂
We like to do a quick grill after boiling. Love the look and the taste!