Coney Island Beef Chili Dogs – Otherwise Known as A&W Chili Dogs
One of those types of meals that has comfort written all over it.
Loaded. Beefy. Classic carnival food kind of good. Beef Chili Dogs, a food truck concession that brings droves of customers to stand in line, pay up a few bucks and walk away feeling satisfied.
Hot Dog Sauce is Where It’s At
You’ll want to load up on this, because its so much better than to hold back and keep it for the hot dogs alone
Load it up over fries, a baked potato, or chow down on this chili all on its own. This is a meal in itself.
However–it’s also perfect to make a Chili Dog with so we totally get that you might reserve this hot dog sauce specifically for Chili Dog day. We get it.
Easy Chili is Always a Winner
We love a good chili recipe…and we’ve made more than our fair share of chili recipes. If you’re looking for a new chili recipe, here are a few we absolutely love:
- Weight Watchers Chili
- Black Bean Chili Dip
- Crockin White Chicken Chili
- Best Chili Mac Worldwide
- Game Day Chili
No matter what type of chili you’re after, you’ll love all of these tasty recipes. So good!
If you’ve been craving a hot dog and chili, combine the two for the perfect chili dog loaded with sauce, cheese and onions. Really, you can mix things up and put whatever your favorite toppings are on top of that delicious hot dog.
We like to load ours up with cheese and onions, but have a selection of toppings on hand if you’re feeding a crowd so everyone can pick their own faves!
Copycat A&W Chili Dogs
These Copcycat A&W Beef Chili Dogs are amazing! This classic recipe is a keeper and one you’ll love to have on hand for quick dinner ideas.
- 1 2 ounce beef frankfurter
- 1 regular hot dog roll
- 3 tablespoons Coney Island Sauce – recipe below
- 1 tablespoon white onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon mild cheddar cheese, shredded
Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce:
- 1 pound ground chuck or ground beef
- 1 six ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon onion, dried and minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Making the Coney Island Chili Dog Sauce:
- Brown the ground chuck in a 2 quart saucepan, breaking meat into very small pieces.
- While cooking, lightly season meat with salt and pepper.
- Do not drain the fat.
- Add the tomato paste, water, sugar, yellow mustard, onion, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Simmer for 30-45 minutes, uncovered, until it thickens.
- Stir occasionally.
- Allow to cool, cover, and refrigerate until time to slather on your frankfurter.
- Cooking your frankfurter
- In a 2 quart saucepan, bring water to a rolling boil.
- Removing the saucepan from the heat, add frankfurter to the water.
- Cover and let sit about 10 minutes.
- After the frankfurter is done, microwave the chili dog sauce until steaming.
- Microwave hot dog roll for 10 seconds to warm.
- Adapted from Best Copycat Recipes.