These southern mashed potatoes are made the way they should be - with lots of lots and butter! Top them with the simple hamburger gravy for a complete meal that the whole family will love.
In this Article:
I grew up in the South, so I was exposed to southern cooking early in my life. And if you’re at all familiar with Paula Deen, you already know the golden rule of the South - everything is better with butter.
Well… this mashed potatoes recipe is no different It's creamy, delicious, and loaded with buttery goodness. Pair it up with the simple hamburger gravy for a taste of southern perfection.
You won’t find a heartier, simpler meat and potatoes meal than Mashed Potatoes with Hamburger Gravy. It’s simple and economical, and just a great comfort food.
I think the whole meal cost $4.00 to make, and there are sure to be leftovers.
Oh, and this is also a totally perfect side dish to serve up at Thanksgiving!
How Do You Mash Potatoes?
Mashed potatoes can be made in a variety of different ways. I grew up watching my mom dump the boiled potatoes into a mixing bowl, adding a little bit of milk and letting the mixer do its work.
We would all then load our plates up with potatoes and gravy and add our own salt, pepper and butter to the potatoes--to our own liking.
When I got married, I discovered a whole new way of mashing potatoes.
My husband had grown up watching his own mother add a stick of butter along with some milk and a bunch of salt and pepper to the pot of boiled potatoes and then use a hand-held masher to mash the potatoes by hand.
Today, I normally make potatoes using a combination of our methods... I still prefer the mixer to hand mashing. But, my husband will mash them up with the hand-masher. You can do it whichever way you prefer!
Serving up Southern Mashed Potatoes
We love making this recipe. It is just so darn good!
If you want to serve up a side dish with these potatoes that is something other than corn, consider our recipes for Parmesan Green Beans, Pan Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon , or Spicy Easy Roasted Cauliflower.
More Recipes to Try
If you love these southern style mashed potatoes, be sure to check out these other tasty ideas:
Southern Mashed Potatoes
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook for about 15 minutes, or until tender. Drain the potatoes.
- With mixer set on a low speed (or using a hand masher), combine the potatoes with all the remaining ingredients until smooth. This should just take a couple minutes.
For Optional Gravy
- Brown the hamburger in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Drain and return to burner. Over medium heat, add butter and bouillon.
- When the butter has melted, add flour and mix until blended. Slowly add water while stirring.
- Cook for a few more minutes, adding more water to reduce thickness as desired.
- Serve the southern mashed potatoes topped with the hamburger gravy!