This 5-ingredient Crock Pot White Beans and Ham recipe puts dinner on the table for less than $5.00 and is a super easy recipe to make.
White Beans and Ham in the Slow Cooker
Can’t cook? Doesn’t matter! With this recipe, skill isn’t even required. The only thing you need to know is how to pour dry beans in a pan, cover with water overnight, and then rinse them out in the morning.
Everything else you do involves throwing a few things in the programmable crock pot, walking away for the rest of the day, and coming back when there is about an hour or so left to add some spices. Flavoring is so good with this slow cooker bone in ham. Sounds easy, right?
Get dinner on the table for under $5 with this crock pot ham and beans recipe
And this is one of those easy slow cooker dinner recipes and can throw together in no time flat. It’s a way to help stretch your grocery budget, save some money, and even try new things.
Get More FABULOUS dinner ideas with this book: 5 Meals for $5-How to Feed 5 People 5 Meals for $5-8 Each.
Some of my favorite low cost dinner recipes are the easiest to make. My family loves soup and salad (well, some of us love the salad).
Simple recipes that can be made on a dime are a winner all around.
Here are Some of Our Best Slow Cooker Recipes
We’re doing a 30-Day Slow Cooking Challenge. Here is a list of the recipes we’re cooking up. Let me know if you try one of them by leaving a comment on that recipe post and rating the recipe!
There are several types of recipes that we are making during the challenge, from chicken slow cooker recipes, beef recipes, and even vegetarian recipes.
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas
- Slow Cooker Corn Chowder
- Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
- Crustless Low Carb Pizza Casserole
- Slow Cooker Pulled Pork
- Slow Cooker Salisbury Steak
- Slow Cooker Zuppa Toscana
- Slow Cooker Apple Bread Pudding
- Slow Cooker Peachy Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Low Carb Stuffed Peppers
- Slow Cooker Mexican Shredded Chicken
- Slow Cooker Chili – Low Calorie
- Slow Cooker BBQ Pork Ribs
- Slow Cooker Apple Butter
- Slow Cooker Pinto Beans
- Slow Cooker Ham and Beans
- 1 lb. white beans (I used Navy, but Great Northern would work just as well)
- 1-2 ham shanks or ham hocks (shanks are meatier)
- 1/2 to 1 onion coarsely chopped
- salt (1- 1/2 teaspoons)
- pepper (1 teaspoon)
- Soak beans overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse the beans and then put them in the crock pot.
- Toss in ham shanks or hocks and onion, and then cover with 2-3 inches of water. You want to have enough water to cook the beans, and if you like your beans soupy, more water is better.
- Set the crock pot on high to have this cooked up in 4-6 hours, or low if you want to keep it on all day. The beans have already been soaked, so you definitely don't need to have it on high for the entire day.
- About an hour before it's ready to serve, go ahead and add the salt and pepper to the beans and ham. Stir it up and let it finish cooking. Enjoy!
Store leftovers in the refrigerator and use within a couple days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 545mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 5gSugar: 1gProtein: 20g